DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 09 Aug 2020, 07:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 23:47 
Project Author

Hope the SNA member doesn’t mind me putting this up but here is a newly completed F5 turbo with some high end parts. Pretty well every tweak you could include has been. A way over specked double PS makes this a dual mono build.

5U heavy extra thick enclosures with steel sub-chassis. Two 300VA shelled trannies.. 16 X 15A supper fasting diode pairs and 192,000uf of caps snubbed a number of times. . Don’t want to say to much before the member has a chance to hear but very impressed so far.
Attachment:
BDC0F60A-5951-4DD2-A6C1-33AC4B5077C8.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 07:36 

Great looking build for those with inefficient speakers. One drawback when you go over a 25 watt class A amplifier is the heat generated.
You will have a small electric heater. Great in the winter time though.

Off the subject Matt but have you listened to your F5 build?

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 18:36 
Project Author

This one ran high current and the HS reach 50c the FETs 60c. That’s how the owner wanted it. Now building my own. Not a turbo just very standard.
Attachment:
067E4AC7-4225-4301-BB9B-24DB849E760D.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 18:53 

The target temp for a FW build according to Nelson is 55C so the amp is running cool but being that you have much larger heatsinks in the turbo because of 50 watts it is going to heat the room much more than a standard 25 watt build. I have a couple of my FW clones with 20V transformers instead of the customary 18V transformers that run 60C without a problem. Many run theirs hotter than that, called fearless amplifier builders. The hotter they run the better they sound. That is until they burn up but the high operating temp of the mosfets in the F5 is 150C so generally it is not a problem to go a little higher. BJT transistors are a different story. The will run away and destroy themselves at a certain temp point.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 18:58 
Project Author

wdecho wrote:
The target temp for a FW build according to Nelson is 55C so the amp is running cool but being that you have much larger heatsinks in the turbo because of 50 watts it is going to heat the room much more than a standard 25 watt build. I have a couple of my FW clones with 20V transformers instead of the customary 18V transformers that run 60C without a problem. Many run theirs hotter than that, called fearless amplifier builders. The hotter they run the better they sound. That is until they burn up but the high operating temp of the mosfets in the F5 is 150C so generally it is not a problem to go a little higher. BJT transistors are a different story. The will run away and destroy themselves at a certain temp point.

Good to hear it’s not too hot.