DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 10:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 14:05 

Thanks both of you.

MG, I get what you are saying. The webpage you directed me to with the audiophile cap test results was very interesting. It led to a whole afternoon of reading, there and other places.

So now I get that electrolytics are not desired, but nonetheless required at higher capacitance values.

I'm intrigued by the concept of microphonics. I have a PhD in Fluid Mechanics so it's sort of in my wheelhouse.

It is also cool that high end audio is still popular enough that companies find it worthwhile to produce boutique capacitors like that.

I happen to live in the middle of wine country in Central CA. Within a 10 mile radius of where I live are probably 350 wineries, mostly small, family owned, but some pretty renowned. I could go to to all of them and taste the wine and like it. Most likely I can tell the difference between their wines when I am there. But when I get home if I did a blind taste test between wines from different wineries I would fail miserably. I just don't have the palette for it. But I do love drinking that level of wine when I can, it tastes good. Day to day I drink $5/bottle wine from Trader Joe's because I can afford it, and it's good enough for everyday consumption. Where am I going with this? I don't know, I thought I did, but now the line of reasoning unravelling on me. :|

When I was young I was into car stereo somewhat. People used to say, if you have an average system, you could spend twice as much and get a system twice as good. You could spend 5 times as much and get a system that was 3 times better. You could spend 10 times as much and get a system that was 3.5 times better and so on. Diminishing returns. I don't think my hearing is developed enough to benefit from going beyond a certain point. I'd like a system that is better than many, not as good as some.

I am a Greenhorn right now. Drinking from a firehose. I know so little about this subject that I can literally double my knowledge in a day! But it is fun, I love learning.

So we will see where it leads me I guess. I note that the guy who wrote that capacitor test summary did note certain capacitors which he really like and were quite affordable. Maybe that is sort of where I'd like to land? I don't want to lose the love of the music for want of a better system.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 18:43 

Its quite true, once you go from fake or non metalised polyproelene to metalised polyproelene then you gain most sound quality gains.
Then go to erse pulse x you gain littreatley nearly all sound quality gains, go even higher then its too expensive and not worth the cash and time.