DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 May 2021, 21:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 14:48 
Project Author

The RCA circuit is actually quite different in terms of the values used, it runs off a 250V supply the GE is only like 150, which is the same voltage as the Mini Preamp, but I was going to upgrade the power supply anyways even though this is supposed to be a simple budget project. ;)

I will have to finish the GE schematic and see how it compairs with the RCA one. :)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:50 

Quick question, I just finished the power supply for this bad boy and when I test the high voltage I get about 180vdc, is this right? or am I going to blow something up?
Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 12:11 
Editor

Did you measure the power supply while it is under load? If not, if will likely be lower when loaded. The tubes will not have any problems with that voltage. How much gain did you need from the preamp?
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 16:12 

no I have not checked it underload because I wanted to make sure the PS was ok before connecting, as for gain i'll be using it for an ipod

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 19:58 
Project Author

Well there keaster, If you got the recommended transformer size (120V at 25-45MA) than you are all set to go, at 180 volts you must have a good power supply. :thumbsup:

I think you may be in for a suprise when you get your preamp working, it sounds great! with the ipod. :headphones:

I will be making an updated phono stage to go along with this preamp later after I finnish rebuilding the C8 preamp, and that Light speed Attenuator would go great with this preamp if you decide not to use a volume control like the way mine is.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 14:40 

Ok so I have finished the pre amp and hooked it all up. You were right this little guy has alot of gain Im using the 100k pot for volume and have it hooked through a ipod dock. So the problem im having is a very noticeable hum or sort of static. Ive gone over things looking for errors and I cant find any. Is there any things to look at first or things to check. I didnt use point to point I used a prototyping board and ran short wires from the board to the tube sockets. Also the power supply is in the same box, I used a bit bigger box then yours. If you can help any that would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 21:46 
Project Author

If it's like a 60hz type oscilation noise... remove the volume control pot and try the ipod strait in to the preamp, I have had many issues with volume controls lataly,not sure why I just get allot of noise, which is the main reason why there is no volume control on mine, but also the ipod all ready has one. :)

Well now that you have your preamp constructed and working I would really like to see it, ither by posting some pics here or, if that is too much time you could always send them to me and I could scale them down andpost them for you, it would cirtainly give me a reference to any other problems that could occur. ;)

Also be aware that I will be making an update in some time to come, all new power supply and a "MINI"phono stage that has been much requested.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 21:16 

Hey i have another question.

In the schematic for the amp part, on the smaller circuit to the right, those nodes labeled 4 and 5, do they just go to pins 4 and 5 of the tubes? Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 20:58 
Editor

Yes, pins 4 and 5 are the heaters pins for the tube.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 18:13 

Just starting on the "mini pre amp" and I have two questions. YEARS ago I used to work on tube equipment and have forgotten just about EVERYTHING, question one; since this a modification of Tim Williams amp I'm using his label; what does C2 do in the circuit and second, how did you come up with the capacitor values which are so different than his? Thanks very much Ron Parola

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next