DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 06:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2020, 20:00 

http://www.s5electronics.com/gstereo.html

Please, would you please teach me how to modify the [[12G Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier Kit]] so that the output impedance is 23-ohms. I know it will probably still work with my headphones even if I don't modify the output impedance. However, I would still like to change the output impedance to 23-ohms. If you would explain how I can do that, I would be hugely grateful.

http://www.s5electronics.com/gstereo.html

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2020, 03:00 

You get less output power when you use 23 ohms.

The output volume becomess less, and you cannot modify the output impedance unless you change the output transformer design.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2020, 21:34 

so are you saying if I change ONLY the output transformers such that the ideal load changes to 23 ohms, then the amp will definitely have a lower watt output? Sorry for the newbie question...but i'm definitely newb

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2020, 07:21 

Currently with 8ohms output impedance, use any phone other than 8 ohms you get less power output, the volume becomes lower.
Match the transformer so is 23Ohms output impedance you get higher output power, the headphone can become louder.

Nothing wrong with running higher impedance like 23ohm on 8ohms impedance system.

But run 4 ohms on 8ohms system then you can blow up the system at high output powers.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2020, 12:46 

Using that amp with headphones and worrying about power is like worrying if the sun was burning out tomorrow. You are only going to use 10% of the available power if you value your hearing.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 00:30 

Hes quite right

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 15:28 
Project Author

Hi, Likely way less than 10%. The S-5 is not a particularly noise and hum free amp. Actually it is quite the opposite. However all is not lost. I believe since it can easily deliver 1-2 watts clean I would add a resistor network at the output. I would probably use a 10ohm 5 watt resistor from the output to ground and tap off the hot side of it with another 10ohm one to feed the phones. It would cut the output down in size that gets to the phones and by a like amount cut down the hum and noise. You can experiment with the value of the second resistor to improve the quality of the output (less hum and noise) a bit up to the point the amp starts to distort. Alternatively an 8ohm "L" pad on the output feeding the phones would be a good solution. It would cost more than the resistors though.

IMO you will likely find that regardless of what you do the H+N will be unsuitable for phones. The amps were never designed to be that clean sounding and it can get really costly to fix it. I tried, it was my first tube amp experience. But that is ancient history.

Good listening
Bruce