DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 04:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 04:05 

I don't tend to use RIAA now,

However in high gain circuits its interesting to look at component types, Its difficult to make boards that are using strange Di-electric with chip type construction, however its interesting to note that surface mount seems to get rid of wire inductance on leadouts. So I would expect a different sound signature to that type of construction "probably better". In the past I tended to use a lot of RIAA and NAB Eq.
I believe Audio Note use densified wood and there is a type produced for used in High voltage industrial transformers.
A bit like Kapton and Nomex paper Di-electric.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 04:40 

Just thinking about RIAA,

If I was to use RIAA again it would be interesting to mount the RIAA network on oily hard wood like rosewood etc or KITE just as a module to try different things and solder it to the main board. I don't know if Ebony is conductive? But the Dielectric strength is the main issue. That's where Teflon or PTFE excels.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 14:57 

One would be tempted to think lowest permitivity yeilds best pcb results.
https://www.rogerscorp.com/documents/21 ... inates.pdf

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 17:07 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
One would be tempted to think lowest permitivity yeilds best pcb results.
https://www.rogerscorp.com/documents/21 ... inates.pdf

You would think so but,
Here is something that "looks" similar.
https://www.roechling-industrial.com/in ... nsformers/

If you think about Duelund di-electric ideas its quite strange and leading capacitor ideas, oil, wax, paper, wood. The things that make things sound good are getting the "mix" right. In Audio circles its called Synergy. Mica caps can sound good. Its a combination of damping and reduced Di-electric absorption. The problem with plastic based materials are things like static. Think about the problems with vinyl records then think about signal levels and conduction linked to noise. Micro detail doesn't need much noise to mask it in a system. Attenuation of selective frequencies by components or circuits. There is to much that can cause problems, Reflections in transmission lines, signal cancellation, phase shift, etc. So its just how far you want to go and if its worth the effort.
Another example triboelectric series :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 16:34 

M. Gregg wrote:
ILoveHiFi wrote:
I think you want to get every last bit of sound quality you can get, while using components and schematics avalible to you.
Which makes sense.

Thanks for the positive comment. :)
Yes its feels like quite a strange build.

:D I just had a weird thought. If I build the completed preamp do all the tests on a scope for ground noise and signal.
Then not put any music through it and look at it on a shelf it would be in superposition is it good or bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4

Regards
M. Gregg

there maybe something ironic in boxing the project up and not observing it’s qualities. I wouldn’t hesitate putting my playlist through it even while still on the bench :) it’s shaping up as a wonderful piece of work born out of diy passion and skills to be proud of.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 15:51 

Input to balance control completed,

Support put in place for input phono sockets to input board.
Grounded to input to prevent ground noise transmission.
I did some resistance measurements if I wired straight to the relays as opposed to using the sockets,
I could get the resistance way up in the infinity region between connections so I modified.
Wire is Neotech`s STDST (Blue Teflon) type wire 99.999% high purity UP-OCC and Duelund cotton/oil

Next step is input wiring and making up some silver screened input wires.
Its a bit slow at the moment work getting in the way.. :|

Regards
M. Gregg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 16:04 

Woodo wrote:
there maybe something ironic in boxing the project up and not observing it’s qualities. I wouldn’t hesitate putting my playlist through it even while still on the bench :) it’s shaping up as a wonderful piece of work born out of diy passion and skills to be proud of.

Thank's for the kind comments glad you like it..
Its getting close to the internal circuit completion then some tidying up.
I want to put a couple of warm white LED's inside to illuminate the case and then fit some bronze acrylic sides but I'll see what happens.
I have to look at the knobs yet<< :confused: what to do...

Just listening to Guardians of the Galaxy :D sound track at the moment while thinking about the next step..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-tLuszKBA

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 10:38 

Phono socket to input board completed,

I was going to make up some screened wires but I don't like using them unless I have to,
so using the grounded support I have loomed them into the input board using single wires.
I have tested for noise and its fine no problems..
No heater hum or strange sounds so far!

I have also installed a warm white LED strip to illuminate the interior.
The tubes were installed and wire retainers fitted AKA audio note.
I have some knobs in the parts box that I have used until I think of something better.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 13:06 

OK,

Some time spent today.
Here is the completed M7.. :D
There is still some work to do but its cosmetic.
The bronze acrylic side panels are fitted, just waiting for the velvet to compress so I can tighten it down.
A couple of the pics just show the velvet fitted it covers the Posi drive bolts.
Ill get some photos when it goes dark, the illumination may be to much if it is I'll use a resistor to reduce it.
In the pics the M7 is illuminated with the camera flash. So I'll show a pic without flash.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 22:38 

The beauty almost brings tears. Is the matching shinri concept in the pipeline?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next