DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 13:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:06 

A LED light is a good example of a device that radaties allot of infared enegery without consuming much power and I use that to light my house everyday.
It dosen't burn your skin or make you hot.

With tubes glowing off such litle light, the infared enegery from it is too small to take any effect.

Its also commonsense where paint to allow more heat absoption is negletible.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 15:20 

Moderators, I'd like your take on this. This gentleman seems to be intent on taking my amplifier thread on a tangent beyond its scope.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 18:13 

This project has not received attention for a long time. I plan to have pictures and a schematic, soon. I'm an adult with adult responsibilities so I rarely get to my hobby projects. I'm also nearing the end of my degree program so I've been putting a lot of time into my studies.

I finished wiring up the test situation this week. Although they will not persist in the final build, I used the tiny Radio Shack transformers for testing. They don't sound great. I have considered buying some Edcor small signal transformers, although they are expensive and will have a long lead time so I'm conflicted.

Another thing I realized after the build: the way 12J8 tubes function is based on grid leaking. Basically, a small portion of electrons strike grid #1 and leak off through the grid resistor. In my circuit, the volume potentiometer (50k) is not grounded but connects to a bypassed 1.5 M resistor. This results in the small current developing a voltage of -0.9v on the grid, which sets the operating point somewhere that the incoming signal won't drive the grid positive.

Except, when I hook the music player up to the input, it drains this voltage away. Not good. I need to install a capacitor between the input jack and the volume control because this voltage needs to be present for the tube to be properly biased. If not, the grid being driven positive will cause distortion especially at lower volumes.

I think it will be a fine project once I get some kinks worked out. I've thought of trying 12.6v AC transformers for the outputs and charting their response. I think some would be surprised. Remember that we are dealing with 20 milliwatts of power here. Plenty for headphones.

For anybody who wants to do some reading, here's a link to infrared radiation. Maybe it will help shed some light on why I'm going to paint my enclosure black after I get finished drilling ventilation holes.

https://www.livescience.com/50260-infra ... ation.html

Have a glorious day,
Ed

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 18:56 

My project is almost finished. All I need now is to lace some of the wiring and install the pilot LED.

12J8 Headphone Amplifier https://imgur.com/gallery/NaTjAZ5

I haven't run formal response tests on it but I can say the sound is ample and very clear. The 12J8 tube is rated at 25 mW which is more than plenty for headphone use.

The transformers are 70v10w speaker transformers used for PA systems. I don't feel like spending $50-75 on Edcor transformers which would probably have a higher frequency response.

I have twelve 12J8 tubes but I can't say it is a common tube. I don't know how many other people would be willing to make an amp like this.

Ed

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 03:09 

I'm not gonna argue any furthure, but we both have diffrent oppnions about weither not the heaters infared radiation is a concern inside the case.

Still with my old point where that the infared radiation is too small to make any diffrence when you manage it.
We both have diffrent oppnions, I don't mind though.

I've noticed your driving transitor to drive a output transformer, a idea is that you can try OCL outputstage more complex but this may give you better sound.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 07:48 

Agreement to disagree is probably best here.

I'm not driving a transistor in this amp. One tube per channel. One transformer. That's it.

Ed

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 20:40 

Quote:
A project using tubes at 12 volts. The 12J8 is a power tetrode designed to drive a power transistor base. Here, I'm using them to drive headphones.

Thats what you said in the url.
That right there says that your using the 12j8 for voltage gain then power transitor to output the speakers

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 21:26 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
Thats what you said in the url.
That right there says that your using the 12j8 for voltage gain then power transitor to output the speakers

No, it doesn't.

What I'm saying is the 12J8 was originally designed for car radio use, where it would do what you are saying. This was very common in 1960s car radios before transistors were able to do things like amplify RF or show high impedances well. So, the 12J8 (and other power tetrodes like it) drove the base of the power transistor in the car radio so it could make 1-2 watts of power for a speaker. That's not what I'm doing here.

Original design use. Like the 6L6 was designed for audio amplification. This hasn't stopped some people from using them as radio transmitters or series pass tubes in DC supplies.

My headphone amp is just one 12J8 tube per channel, making a few milliwatts for headphones which is more than enough. There is no power transistor in my headphone amp. There aren't even any semiconductors, until I install the pilot LED. If I could rig a lens to bend orange light from the tubes to a hole in the front, I wouldn't even need an LED. I know it's common to build tube/MOSFET hybrids to drive headphones without output transformers (I made one before). In this case, I decided to leave it out and use the 12J8 as they are designed to be used, driving a plate transformer for a little bit of power.

I turned a knob from walnut today for the volume control, and sealed it by rubbing clear wax into it. I still haven't picked out an LED.

Ed

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 22:09 

I like my music loud, with peak levels of 0.5W (0.25W RMS) into HP-880 pro signal modded.
But its good that your making diffrent scheamtics to listen to diffrent kind of sounds.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 22:17 

Thanks.

The 20 milliwatts from this is plenty loud. If I wanted to go for power, I'd get a couple of power transistors and drive them with an op amp. This project was about the novelty of taking a low-power tube and seeing how it would perform. The 12J8 is a pretty obscure tube. If I wanted to take it one step further, I could use the diodes to make a peak detector and drive a 50 uA panel meter.

As far as headphone amps go, this will probably be my last real effort. I have a lot of other things going on and I'm more interested in radio circuits these days. I have a pair of 2000 ohm magnetic headphones, and those are meant to be driven directly from the plate of a triode. Piano sounds really good through them but voice is kind of blah.

Ed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next