DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 02:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 01:32 
Project Author

Finished system
Attachment:
AC61D85C-610A-42E9-929C-93D52F880442.jpeg
Attachment:
C9407F11-3FA1-4155-8FCD-2144F9C6B935.jpeg
Attachment:
81AA8041-B1CF-4665-BAFF-76F5C642388A.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 22:52 
Project Author

There is more info about the SC system here;

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/20 ... apped.html

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 20:03 
Project Author

Two images, one of the amp on the inside, now complete with 20H choke mounted. The other is the better and final combination of horn and Beyma which has remained unchanged for a few days now.

Still doing lots of listening, still enjoying it.
Attachment:
126EF22E-9D2D-498E-AB9B-778D85CB42D8.jpeg
Attachment:
FC08C600-BFC0-4210-A8A9-FF19BB800BC9.jpeg
Attachment:
7107CE9F-DA8D-4A4D-8C63-813967DE8FC7.jpeg
Attachment:
5205455C-0053-435E-802D-D2140DB54A0C.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 20:35 
Project Author

Hi Mark, I really like the speakers. They resemble the guts of the Altecs I have....only yours are smaller (about 2/3 the size) :beerchug: IMO there are few things as nice as some of the vintage two ways with big woofers and horn mid-tweeters.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 21:24 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi Mark, I really like the speakers. They resemble the guts of the Altecs I have....only yours are smaller (about 2/3 the size) :beerchug: IMO there are few things as nice as some of the vintage two ways with big woofers and horn mid-tweeters.

Good listening
Bruce

I PMed you Bruce about no Ck.

Mine are 511Bs but not with Altec drivers.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:20 
Project Author

I’d had trouble with Ck on the 807 breaking down for no reason. Two very different caps had done this which were way over speced. But for about three or so hours yesterday the amp worked perfectly with a new Ck in place. The other weren’t directly across Rk and this may have been the problem. The new one is.

Hopefully the ghost in the machine has retired. I always bipass my Cks with a 0.1uf poly if Ck is a cheapy. Better ones I’m told not to bipass. This ones a cheapy and a poly will be employed.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 20:52 
Project Author

After many hours of play the amp is now dead stable with Ck and Ck bipassed. Very happy with the sound and felt it was playing louder or with more grunt than SC II with the single 6EM7. But putting both on the CRO they produce just 1.5W each into a 8 ohm resistor.

Also both have supper 3db frequency limited of over 35KhZ. Playing Johnny Cash’s “The beast in me”, his voice and simple guitar, through both amps and recording the sound with a pro 24/96 hand held digital recorder revealed SC II much clearer and very “in the room”. I listened to the individual recordings through Sennheiser 700 headphones, Pi server and CMoy style HP amp. The clarity of the 6EM7 amp, SC II, is very obvious. The 807 has more body and sweeter fuller sound but not the transparency of the 6EM7. The bass from both sounds the same but have a lower roll off point of 60hZ. No deep bass but you can definitely feel it and hear it. I don’t believe I’m missing anything.

I have watched a few 4K movies in mono with both amps and single speaker setup. Really very enjoyable, fast crisp and in your face. Who would have thought of watching high action, sometimes Dolby sound, movies on 1.5W. Plenty loud and very revealing.