DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 01:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternative tubes
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 12:01 

Hi, this is my 1st post so pls excuse me if I break the rules.
I have an amp (gemtune bl-02 model EL34-B) I have eventually managed to get a copy of the manual so now I know what valves go in what position however the valves listed are not all the same as what I have.
I have 2 x EL34-B which is correct
I have 2 x 6h9c which according to the manual should be 6n9p
And rather than a 5z3p I have a 5u4g.
Would I be right in thinking that these could be acceptable alternatives and would just deliver a different type of sound or would they blow or just not work if they were used?
Any feedback/info would be greatly appreciated, if anyone could put a monetary value on the amp Inc valves that would be great although I know this could be a long shot.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Alternative tubes
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 00:54 

You can use any valves as long as the power ratings are smiliar, for generall valve amps can use any type of valve.

Tune the resistor values to have correct operating point and desired voltage gain.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 06:13 

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't know where to start with tuning resisters but I have a guy who knows about that kinda thing thanks

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 17:53 

Hi, there’s a link to a resource on this forum that might help look at compatible tubes with different numbering. Refer to https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets66.html.

Also someone familiar with the different tubes may chime in if not on holidays at this time :)

Russian and Chinese tubes often have different numbering but may be the same or compatible..The Tung Sol entry for the 5U4G attached mentions other compatible rectifiers.

A very interesting thread on rectifiers.. a couple of mentions of the 5Z3. I have used 5U4G and 5AR4 (GZ34). Less voltage drop with the 5AR4. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2912&start=10

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 05:33 

Thanks john

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 20:07 

Hi, 6h9c is the russian version of 6sl7 and 6n9p is the chinese version of the same tube, so that is the correct tube.