DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Oct 2020, 10:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 13:57 
Offline

Joined: 20 Apr 2020, 12:26
Posts: 1
I've been documenting this project on the DIY Amp forum at TDPRI, but I thought that it might be more interesting here, because it strays from the usual build-a-Fender-5E3 content.

My dad passed on 10 years ago this past January, at the ripe old age of 83. On a recent trip back to see my mom, I came across the Heathkit integrated amp that he built in 1961, shortly before they got married. It's in pretty sad shape cosmetically, and hasn't had any service since 1980 (per the service sticker from the Heathkit factory!). It's got no value as a vintage piece, and I've got nowhere to use a 14W mono amp, so I'm converting it for guitar use.

I've done simple things before - cap replacements, simple circuit mods, etc. This is the most involved project that I've undertaken.

The original plan was pretty simple - scrap the input selector and RIAA filter, Fender-ize the front end, and add a PPI MV. And I'm still pretty much in that ballpark, with one major change; I'm changing the third gain stage (6AU6) to a cathode follower. With it as a gain stage, there's just too much gain, and I may want to try alternative tone stacks that load it down more than the Bax does.

I feel like I've got a decent handle on the circuit, based on studying both theory and execution, but there are a few things that aren't entirely clear to me; I'll be asking about those along the way. I'll post the updated schematic in the next comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy