DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Jan 2021, 05:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 12:10 

[quote=And if you put two 2.2uF in series you only get half the capacitance 1.1uF[/quote]
Yes i know, im low on skills but not so deep under the sea level :D
I try to simulate it with LTSpice and with my current values i get 2dB attenuation at 20Hz and 6dB at 10Hz... Am i doing something wrong?
Attached schematics used for simulation and frequency plot
Thank you for helping

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 01:49 

Just increace the capacitance sizes, ideally the attenuation should be 1dB or less at 20hZ
You are not doing anything wrong except there is also output impedance from the cathode follower so in reality the attenuation is slightly less thna 2dB in real life

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 14:21 

Ok i will try it.
Thanks for helping :up:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 12:37 

For the past five years I’ve been enjoying listening to music with my 4S preamp.

I saw this cathode follower version Matt put up several years ago and now I’m thinking of building one.
I have a NAD solid state power amp that I haven’t used in years but I’ll admit it’s more a desire to build
another 4S with an additional tube on it.

A few questions please…..

Can I use the heater switch that permits in the 4S section, the use of either 12A*7 or 6A*7 tubes, running
separate heater wires to the switch and to the 12AU7 cathode follower ?

Is the Allied 6K49VG power transformer suitable for the 4S - 460VCT at 50ma. and 6.3V at 2.5 amp - or
is the voltage too high and the 50ma. current supply too low ? This one is more than $30 cheaper than
the Hammond 269EX or 269GX at Mouser.CA

I didn’t need to use the bypass cap on the cathode resistor in my 4S but just for information is it optional
on the CF version too ?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 17:09 
Project Author

harrydutt wrote:
For the past five years I’ve been enjoying listening to music with my 4S preamp.

I saw this cathode follower version Matt put up several years ago and now I’m thinking of building one.
I have a NAD solid state power amp that I haven’t used in years but I’ll admit it’s more a desire to build
another 4S with an additional tube on it.

A few questions please…..

Can I use the heater switch that permits in the 4S section, the use of either 12A*7 or 6A*7 tubes, running
separate heater wires to the switch and to the 12AU7 cathode follower ?

Is the Allied 6K49VG power transformer suitable for the 4S - 460VCT at 50ma. and 6.3V at 2.5 amp - or
is the voltage too high and the 50ma. current supply too low ? This one is more than $30 cheaper than
the Hammond 269EX or 269GX at Mouser.CA

I didn’t need to use the bypass cap on the cathode resistor in my 4S but just for information is it optional
on the CF version too ?

Regardless of current the 460VCT Tranni seems to higher voltage. You can use limiting resistors to bring it down. Adding Ck will increase gain but may also help with bass extension.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 20:13 
Project Author

harrydutt wrote:
Can I use the heater switch that permits in the 4S section, the use of either 12A*7 or 6A*7 tubes, running separate heater wires to the switch and to the 12AU7 cathode follower ?
Yes. So long as the switch is only changing the preamp socket you should be ok.
harrydutt wrote:
Is the Allied 6K49VG power transformer suitable for the 4S - 460VCT at 50ma. and 6.3V at 2.5 amp - or is the voltage too high and the 50ma. current supply too low ?
The voltage may be a little high. 230V*1.41 ≈ 325V. This is at the top end of the B+ range where I like to run this circuit. The cathode followers draw about 3mA and the 4S channels pull between 2mA and 4mA. So a B+ dropping resistor of about 5kΩ should get your B+ down around the 300 volt level where I like to run the 4S these days. A half watt resistor is fine as these current levels.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 09:19 

Thanks for your responses Mark and Matt.

So where should I put the 5K resistor, on the B+ wire connection to the tubes or
on the center tap wire ?

Harry.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 21:31 
Project Author

harrydutt wrote:
So where should I put the 5K resistor, on the B+ wire connection to the tubes or
on the center tap wire ?
Neither. Place it between the reservoir capacitor and the filter choke in the power supply.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 09:30 

Suncalc wrote:
harrydutt wrote:
on the center tap wire ?
Neither. Place it between the reservoir capacitor and the filter choke in the power supply.

Great. Thanks again Matt.

Harry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15