DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 02:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 01:33 

Hi there.Thank you for your input. The connections are correct. I have two transformers, one per channel, and use connection A since the cartridge is 300 ohm. I followed the table of K&K audio.

I isolated the mm section and left only the MC so signal gos directly from the transformer to the tube without selector in the middle. Now I do not see something wrong and will try again but I think that will not have results. It is a puzzle

My only concern, if I understood well is that the preamp is limited to 150 ohm desired input impedance but the cartridge is 300 ohm. Is it an issue, can we do something if so?

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 10:40 
Project Author

Hi, There has to be a wiring problem as they work fine. I attached a jpg file that shows how to get various load values. Note that they are different depending on what step up ratio you choose. Now back to the question ...the transformer impedances on the input vs output side are governed by the square of the number of turns. If you ignore the losses (minimal often) in the case for these SUTs a 1 to 8 ratio will give an impedance ratio of 64. Thus if the input desired is 300 ohms the output will be about 19.2K. So you will need to add resistors to the input stage to get that. Since it is already 47K you will need to put a 32K resistor in parallel with it. This can be right at the SUT. No resistor additional there will give an input impedance of about 700 ohms. When you use the 16 to one ratio you can not get an input value over about 180 ohms (47000 divided by 256).

Now to help all folks that use LOMC with phono preamps. The SUTs are really really sensitive to picking up hum. I normally put them in their own steel box (about 10cm on a side) and attach them with RCA cables and jacks. Inside a chassis it can drive you nuts trying to get the hum low. Grounding is key as is the physical location and orientation of the power transformer as well as anything else that can transfer hum or noise. A large chassis, maximum spacing and serious attention to grounding (both paths and sizes) matters hugely. You all have been warned.

BTW. While the LL1678 and 9226 are quite nice and do the job quite well (especially for the price) my personal choices are the PLT-1 from Softone Audio and the SAC 220A from Silk Audio. Both are slightly more costly, but in the world of SUTs not greatly so. Chocolate vs vanilla again

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
LL1678a.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 14:27 

Yes Bruce I replaced the 47k resistor with 19k since 47+32 in pallel gives 19k. Is it wrong? I think not so, everything look ok! I have to check again the value of the resistor perhaps 20 or 21 since 19 was not available

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 14:56 
Project Author

Hi, that should be fine. Did you find the problem with the connections?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 15:31 

They are ok. Puzzle

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 11:20 

Hello problem solved. It was finally the 12at7 , the last stage!!! It was damaged before trying the MC. It is fantastic!!!!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 20:43 
Project Author

Great, I have been fooled by tubes on occasion as well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 23:01 

Did anyone post a BOM in the thread? (Also, why is it so difficult to search individual threads!!)

Thanks!
-Jason

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2020, 10:43 

There is a lot of "taste" in choosing components, tubes for example, or even resistors... It's easy to make a cheap version or spend 10-times more. That is why (I think) nobody has bothered to make something universal.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2020, 14:37 
Project Author

Hi, I share that opinion. I also figure that for diy projects the builder has some responsibility. They have to be sure they understand how it works and what are the risks. All tube projects have potentially lethal voltages. Many tube projects require a certain level of knowledge and skill. I have wondered about some diyers. They didn't seem to know which end of a soldering iron gets hot. :eek: :D :D

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next