DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 09:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 03:27 

Judging from the speaker connectors and IEC-inlet it is small. You have the measurements?

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 08:38 

Thanks Magnus,
Wow ! Lot's to chose from. I now have a starting point now for my next amp.
Thank you members for sharing all of these great schematics !
Robbie

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 08:58 

IF someone is looking for a SMALL amplifier (in absolute terms), tubes like ECL82/85/86 are perfect and so are 6T9/6T10. 6AQ5/6BQ5 also makes small amps, like 1626 and 12B4A (Darling = small trannies).
I think 6EM7 are perfectand the 5998A I am using. There's a chapter in my Russian tubeamp book using single 6S45P is a smallish amp.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 11:29 

I'm not agree that small amplifier is good decision. I doubt that sound is very good /I have ampl. 6Ф3П,
sounds good, but not amazing/, like 2A3, 6S4S, 6S33S..../ I know that small ampl. sounds ....small.....IMHO!

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 11:51 

I agree ... and I agree ... small tube .. "small" sound

azazello wrote:
I'm not agree that small amplifier is good decision. I doubt that sound is very good /I have ampl. 6Ф3П,
sounds good, but not amazing/, like 2A3, 6S4S, 6S33S..../ I know that small ampl. sounds ....small.....IMHO!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 12:49 

I like sound of octal tubes, it's very nice, spirit, deep, delicate, famous...
If compare octal 6P6S and 6P1P/new "small' 6P6S/.....they don't compare.....IMHO!

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 13:43 

You understand what you mean, Azazello. You like BIG octal tubes better than small noval. It could be that the bigger tubes are sonically superior.
Also, keeping the construction to a limited space can cause signals leaking in and out everywhere.

That's the minuses. The pluses - cheers from the audience, and no sore back.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 14:19 

Well, my small amplifier was noise free and a total success, it was sold before entirely finished for a nice amount. I am currently building exactly the same amp in another one of those wooden boxes for the guys friend, who bought the first one. It sounds really good and iot's got all inside, the complete filter chain with bypass caps, the 10 uF poli at the end of the chain, it's small, but done right. I have a lot of fun building another one.
Life is not too bad right now. :D

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 14:30 

Actually, to be honest, I build this amplifier because of the threat, smallest possible amplifier. I figured, I want one for my collection, too. Now they are soooo cute, they sell themselves, so now I will build the second edition, and this is most the time even better than the first. I like small amplifiers and I know, that you can construct a small amplifier (by keeping certain rules) that is noise free and does sound like the bigger brothers, I know that from experience. I am building two amps simultaneously and i will keep one, definitely.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 06:54 

I started this thread when mammoths still roamed the endless Swedish plains, and I really want to put some kind of "end" to it, especially since I these days are more into synthesizers (1) than tubes and having slipped into a quagmire of old Soviet cameras (2). Besides, most of my electronic gears are packed in boxes, stored away in the basement. As our apartments were to undergo major upgrades, I would in a years time have to use a loo temporarly set up in a shed in the backyard for several weeks and after that pay some $150 more each month, and just having retired and gotten the lowest from two overlapping pensions plans, I moved to a nice, cheaper but much smaller 1-bedroom flat.

To the main topic; I followed a nice thread on my favourite forum, the Swedish Electronics Forum, where a guy built a small amplifier based on 6AQ5 AND a SMPS DC/DC-converter to generate B+ from a low voltage source. (2)
SO .... I ordered a pair of cheap DC/DC-converters from eBay: LINK TO PRODUCT ...

Attachment:
IMG_7532.jpg

... and started to look for a suitable design of an amp that could be powered by the PSU and a batteri (I have bigger 7Ah and 18Ah 12V batteries). I have two projects involving 5702 submin tubes, one SE and another PP (3), but wondered what I could dig up from my collection of project files.
With a maximum rating of 200mA from the PSU, I could use tubes like 6AQ5, 6A6 (I could have some 12A6 even), ECL82/85/85 (6BM8/6GV8/6GW8), 12B4A, 6BQ5 or any of the Russian types 6P14P, 6P15P or 6P43P.
Shortly, find tubes for an amp rated 3-4W/channel is no big buznizz.

But in my 6P1P-folder, I dug up this picture, taken by me some 6 years ago:

Attachment:
6P1P_03.jpg

This was a cheap amp kit from Chian (can't help spelling China this way) that was assembled but never really installed in a suitable chassis, hooked up to a PSU and made to work. This one could be a perfect target for my small PSU.
Power tubes are 6P1 (or Russian 6P1P), a sort of 6AQ5 packed like a 6BQ5 (5) and driver a single 6N1 (Russian 6N2P) (6).
Some small corrections to be made - as I will run everything on 12V, I have to rewire the tubes - 6P1P heaters in series and add a suitable resistor to drop the voltage to the driver, 6N2P. I still may have small DC/DC stepdown converters but I cannot remember if they were "good enough" for 1,5A. That is another story.

To go on I have to locate the amplifier PCB and do some surgery OR ...

... dig up an old project with 6AQ5/12AX7 and use that one to simplify much of the surgical work (7). Next time I go "box-diving" in the basement storage I see which one I find first and go for that one.

I have some chassis lying around or I can pick a nice wooden box from Swedish store H&M Home (8).

Maybe a NEW and portable amplifier for the Triode-meeting (9) later this Autumn. Have found out that my new big fullrange Sonido 6-by-9" speakers are happy with just a few Watts of amp power.

(To be continued)

(1): Built the Anushri from Mutable Instruments, the original Soundlab and Soundlab Mk2 from MFOS, are assembling a large number of modules for a mODDular synt have been digging deep into a Moog clone project - almost finished CADing the PCBs for a MOOG/Radio Shack Concertmate MG-1.

(2): All on Lomography: https://www.lomography.com/homes/soundbrigade/albums

(3): https://elektronikforumet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95548

(4): 5902-SE: http://www.pastisch.se/ror/5902SE.htm and 5902-PP http://www.pastisch.se/ror/5902PP.htm

(5): http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/113/6/6P1P.pdf

(6): https://drtube.com/datasheets/6n2p-ev.pdf

(7): http://www.pastisch.se/ror/6aq5se.htm

(8): https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0495633001.html

(9): http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96165

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next