DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 01 Dec 2020, 20:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020, 16:36 

Quote:
Hi wonder for this circuit, the resistors that don't have Watt rating marked, what kind of Watt rating should that be? Thks
MK

Hi

Remember that resistors have a voltage rating as well as a wattage rating.

Depending on the resistor you could use 1/2 watt for the 1K and 470K but I tend to use 1 watt as a minimum in most projects.

So the 47K 2 watt on the anode of the driver tube you need to check the working voltage just being 2 watt isn't necessarily going to cut it, 47K 2 Watt 500V working or more is what you need.

In some applications in the cathode of a tube if you get flash over it can blow the resistor apart, so just paralleling multiple low wattage resistors to get the wattage rating won't withstand surge current with high voltage.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 19:06 

rebuilding the kt 88se during quarantine... :nuke: :lildevil: :wizard:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 19:34 
Project Author

gonzalo guerrero wrote:
rebuilding the kt 88se during quarantine... :nuke: :lildevil: :wizard:

What a good idea. I built four projects. Part of that was completing one. Happy with all four.

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 22:28 

almost done....only the rca's and output tranys to install...i guess until tuesday i will done.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 23:51 

Almost...

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 00:33 
Project Author

Neat

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 17:02 

Black beauty...

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020, 07:09 

Hi All,

Not finishing, but just venturing in the KT88/6550 Single Ended amp formula, under "skull-wooden prototype" form... :D ;)

Cheers ! :beerchug:

-tbln

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2020, 15:16 

Hello!

I've been working on a chassis for a single ended KT66 amp, using http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT88/ schematic as a reference. I'm making a few modifications, however I need some advice on how to move forward. Let it be known, this is a prototype, so I'm using hammond trannys and chokes to keep cost down.

First off, I want to build a duel mono system that uses one power transformer to power left and right output transformers, with pre-amp, all in one package. I have access to testing equipment, signal generators, a wave spectrum analyzer, etc. I've done work on plenty guitar and bass amps, but this is my first leap into hi-fi.

I was looking at hammonds 272HX tranny https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/200 however, Im unsure if it's powerful enough. The schematic calls for 5V, 375-0-375V, 6.3V. The 272HX secondary specs say 600V C.T. @ 230ma. (It has the appropriate heater supply 5V and 6.3V btw.)

How do I compare these specs? And as it powerful enough to power duel mono? Single mono?

My second question, is once the power transformer is peachy, talk to me about chokes. I've read that some people have built single ended pieces without chokes (and they're noisy), to people using 10H 230mA with a 5H 250mA choke following it like the Mikael Abdellah's design. What can i get away with for a prototype? What is essential?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 14:37 

Hi Bernardo,

What chokes did you install and what are their values?

:lildevil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6