DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 May 2021, 15:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 06:30 
Offline

Joined: 09 Mar 2021, 05:50
Posts: 1
Dear all,
Let me please present my case.
I bought a cd player Marantz CD-75DX, which I paid $180 because it was reconditioned by the seller.
I received the player, it worked right, but the sound was not very good imo…
So I decide to open it and take a look. You can find the pictures here:
https://imgur.com/a/9v3pRLf
I noticed a big condenser that may be leaking, next to the power supply (Image 1, 6,7), and another condenser, a red one (in the center of image 11 and 13) that looks like swollen.
I took some other pictures also.
Is there anybody experienced on tweaking able to tell me if all this is right?
Does the swollen and leaking condensers may be the reason why the sound is not so good ?
It would be great if you can send me some comments about this.
Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
Pmc222


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 21:32 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jun 2008, 20:59
Posts: 4370
Location: Arizona, USA
Hi, The one capacitor looks like it was damaged during either its installation or the replacement of one of the rectifiers next to it. It coul dbe splattered solder and flux on the capacitor, but still not a nice job. A poor fix IMO. I can't really tell from the photos if any of the red capacitors are bulging. If one is it should be replaced as it has failed. IMO a dubious reconditioning job. Most likely only cleaned the laser and lubed it. Now for my other thoughts. I don't seen a lot of praise for this unit when I checked so the sound may be typical of the type. I have an upgraded CD5001 and it doesn't even come close to the sound I get out of my Oppo SE. Others might chime in with some different thoughts though.

Good listening
Bruce

_________________
Some of my DIY Tube Amplifier Projects:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy