DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 19:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.1 potential set-up
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 15:19 

Hey, guys.
I would like to build myself a 2.1 system setup for desktop, and i have picked theese components:
amp:

https://www.banggood.com/DC12-24V-TPA31 ... rehouse=CN

power supply:

https://www.banggood.com/AC-DC-Switchin ... rehouse=CN

subwoofer:

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-10sw- ... lblReviews

mid-range(x2):

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood- ... m--280-115

tweeters (x2)

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-1td1- ... m--292-462

Will it work?? Do i need something more? what could go wrong?? Are the speakers appropriate for the amp?? Is the PS appropriate for the amp??
Will the 2.1 system actually produce 2x50w + 1x100w output if i use 24V 9A power supply (should be 216w max power)??
I believe here are many people way smarter than me, so I will really appreciate any help and any critique. please point out my mistakes and tell me what could i improve.

Post subject: Re: 2.1 potential set-up
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019, 18:49 

Power rating is only maximum volume you can get, you can drive 300w speakers with a amp only of 1w just lower volume output.
If you wanna get the rated 50w you need to use 4ohm speakers to get it as 24v dosen't allow enough voltage swing to allow for 50w rms output with 8r.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 12:25 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
Power rating is only maximum volume you can get, you can drive 300w speakers with a amp only of 1w just lower volume output.
If you wanna get the rated 50w you need to use 4ohm speakers to get it as 24v dosen't allow enough voltage swing to allow for 50w rms output with 8r.

Yeah, but won't it be 4ohm's if i connect the mid and tweeter in parralel??

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 16:31 
Project Author

Hi, I have had good results with GRS and Goldwood speakers. If you connect the mid and tweeter in parallel yes the impedance will be OK, but they will both reproduce, or at least try to handle the whole range of frequencies. This can easily lead to one or the other being driven into distortion. In extreme cases damage to one or the other may occur. (probably not at the power levels from that amp) Normally they would require a crossover between them and as a consequence they would once again look like 8 ohms to the amp. My general thoughts are that it might be enough power for your application as long as you don't want really high levels of sound. The factor most likely to limit the level is the woofer. In a large vented enclosure it could provide decent bass and efficiency to match well with the other speakers. In a small box or one that is sealed that would be rather unlikely. I would expect high levels of distortion using as small an amp as you selected. I would personally want one with about 100 watts minimum for the woofer at its rated impedance. You need more than the speaker is rated to avoid over driving the amp. The other speakers should be able to get by with about 1/2 that power. Parts Express has bigger amps that ought to work and can supply the needed crossover components you would need. I grant that the cost will be more, but the results will be better. I believe some sort of design program would be useful in selecting the crossover points and type. I am sure a number of folks on this and other forums would be glad to help with that.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 03:40 

You also can't just put the tweeter and woofer inparallel directly, if you dojn't have any cross over for tweeter preventing it from seing dc or very low frequencies then you will burn the tweeter.
The way to use it is to have proper cross over with the matching tweeter and midrange then you get a 8r speaker set.

The midrange you selected is unlikley to have volume at higher frequencies and direct parallel will mean exremely bad matching and volume response all over the place.