DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 May 2021, 13:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 18:19 

I'm building a pre amp and thought I'd like to add VU meters to the front panel but have no idea how to go about it.
any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 19:45 
Project Author

The first question is what kind of VU meters? And where. Since you said that you're putting them in a preamp, I am assuming that you want them to reflect the voltage at the preamp output. So you need to do this with a buffer tied to the preamp output with a fairly high input impedance so it doesn't adversely load the line out.

Most needle type VU meters you buy have an internal resistance in the neighborhood of about 600Ω. The "zero" is about 4dBu or 1.23v. This equates to a few milliwatts across the load. So whatever you use to drive them needs to be able to comfortably drive the 600Ω load. Also, the mechanical meters require a specified rectifier to work properly. Good Vu meters have an internal rectifier. Cheap ones may or may not.

The easiest way to drive a VU meter is with a low output impedance buffer. This can be a simple emitter follower transistor stage, or a cathode follower if you're into tubes. I would also recommend some manner of range adjustment so you can match each meter per the 1kHz standard. This can be done with small trimmer pots and a low gain transistor stage.

Do you want to design and build from scratch? If not, there are lots of driver boards available that will handle all the buffering and driving. Something like this one off of Amazon for example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFHV85Y/ref=dp_prsubs_1. I've never used this particular board. It's just an example to show what kind of setups are available.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 15:29 

Thank you

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 02:38 

Yes, Pre amp output, been looking on line and ordered a cheap pair that come with buffer boards to play with before I drop decent money on any.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 12:37 

Suncalc wrote:
Something like this one off of Amazon for example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFHV85Y/ref=dp_prsubs_1. I've never used this particular board. It's just an example to show what kind of setups are available.

:up: :up: