DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 10 May 2021, 14:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thumbs Up!
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 00:22 

Can anyone direct me to a DAC that will receive music from thumb drives, AND will offer a screen or method of selecting the files (music) which are on the thumb drives?
Right now my Android phone is doing exactly that, but I want to step up the quality of the DAC above what is in the phone.
I don't need superior, highest-quality, ...just a good, worthwhile improvement in DAC function.

I've figured out many methods but they are all without any way of selecting the various music files (albums) on my thumb drives.
Right now my path is: Thumb drive to OTG cable, into Android phone charging port, out headphone port to receiver, to speakers. The phone screen shows all the files on the thumb drive, which can be selected and played.

NOTE: I find thumb drives to play very well, at any different sample rates and bit depths, through my phone.

Post subject: Re: Thumbs Up!
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 03:26 

Wow! Almost 3,000 views, and not a single reply. Such a great help this group is.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 20:13 
Project Author

Sound22Card wrote:
Wow! Almost 3,000 views, and not a single reply. Such a great help this group is.
Maybe because of the high specificity of your desired solution. What you want may not exist in a single unit.

You seem to desire two different pieces of functionality. First, a good quality DAC with various digital inputs. This is the easy part.

But you also want a digital streaming device, which accepts USB drives, has an integrated function to display drive content information and select specific files, and stream the digital files to your aforementioned DAC. That's a pretty specific set of functionality. It can be accomplished with a small tablet or laptop with the appropriate software, but a purpose built device is going to be more challenging to find. There are come component CD players on the market which accept a USB drive, have a digital output, and provide some display of USB content. However these units are hit or miss on how well the USB reading function is integrated.

You will likely have to do some investigating of some specific solutions before asking for opinions.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:28 

Apologies I did see this but wasn’t sure I had a directly relevant reply. Fwiw have been using a few methods depending on which amplifier I am using. The most convenient but least tubey is to use my class d receiver with ability to connect to wifi in the house to my music server a cheapish Synology NAS DS216 Play, while using my computer or iPhone to select the song, album or playlist. It also has a fairly clunky but overall satisfactory music server App called dsaudio available on App Store that finds your synology server.

I can also use the preamp of my receiver to connect to the tube amp and enjoy all the convenience of using the connectivity technology has to offer but for some reason this affects the sound and now I have moved the tube amp to a dedicated room.

There is a USB port in both the receiver and NAS which I don’t tend to use as you want to use it. I’ll give them a try to see. My receiver at the time of purchase 6 years ago was considered to have a good DAC. I’m sure new models have the latest and greatest but wonder whether difference are that audible.

Mwhouston on this site has experience with a commercially available diy dac with a range of input options. Also Mark has mentioned Roon is a good server but I think it is subscription based iirc.

Lately I have just been using my tube amp for listening so I just connect the iPad via wifi to the NAS or the internet via an rca adaptor to the tube amp. I have to get up from the chair to reduce volume and change music etc. no USB involved though. More labour intensive is transferring your current playlist to your iPad or phone and directly connect to your amp. This relies on the dac in your device though. I’ve seen some good reviews of various phone dacs such as iPhones of various vintage and LGs for example. Beauty is in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder though.