DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 May 2021, 01:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Build or buy?
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 09:55 

I've built a couple of pairs af speakers, and a few subs, and I am very pleased with them all. However, it did occur to me that it is quite expensive to build a pair of speakers compared to buying a pair of highly rated ones off the shelf. So:

Do we build speakers to save money?
    Do we build speakers purely for the experience and thrill of building our own stuff?
    Do we build speakers because it would bever occur to us to buy them!

I'm keen to know your views before I embark on my next project.
Thanks,
Mark

Post subject: Re: Build or buy?
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 11:59 

I build speakers because the off the shelf ones are crap or a rip off expensive.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 14:06 

@RevM,

Do we build speakers to save money?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no... I'd say that for the same amout of money, you have the possibility to build better and more following your needs or taste.

Do we build speakers purely for the experience and thrill of building our own stuff?

I must confess that it's rather true for me, but not only.

Do we build speakers because it would never occur to us to buy them !

At the price where some speakers are sold, I'm tempted to say yes indeed !

But it's me, OK ? :)

-tbln.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 10:40 

i've been spending my time lately looking a what diy compared to commercial offerings are and in most cases a sensible approach with material choices and design it's far easier to get better performance at the same price point IMHO.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 01:52 

All very interesting, thanks.

It does strike me, though, that commercial designers have access to CAD/CAM and simulations that I don't. They are able to produce really funky designs that they can simulate and test while I am left with an pencil, paper, calculator and a load of formulae! However, I also believe that my speakers sound better than commercial ones at the same price. Seems odd.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 02:25 

I built a set incorperating 1" tweeters and a 5 1/4" midrange. The drivers were Peerless and in a box same size as mine they were selling
for $4,000.00US a par. I payed less than $300 when finished for the wood and drivers. The xovers I left out as I am x-overing in the pre-amp stage and using separate amps for each speaker but the x-over would add about $125 to the total. The sound is wonderful and I venture to say as good as the retail set. So $425 or $4,000 for the same set.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 10:00 

1.) Purely economically, I think you do get better quality in terms of possible construction and raw parts for a DIY project than you get spending the same money on a finished speaker. In my experience, a well designed DIY project will pretty much always beat out comparably priced production models for sound quality when compared dollar to dollar. I try to design DIYs to be at least 3x better in quality per dollar compared to a similar production model.

That said, I think you also have to account for what your time is worth. If you account for the number of hours it takes to design it, build it and any tools you might need, that value may disappear.

2.) I personally love the process of finding raw drivers, designing crossovers, designing boxes and building things in general. The hours it takes to put it all together is very satisfying. Sometimes I even just pick out random drivers online and try to make crossovers for them just because it's fun... with no intention of building a finished piece.

3.) I'm not going to say I'd never buy another pair of speakers. Sometimes that's just the right solution. But I've discovered that I can build them for myself, there's no going back. I'm addicted.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 10:16 

RevM wrote:
All very interesting, thanks.

It does strike me, though, that commercial designers have access to CAD/CAM and simulations that I don't. They are able to produce really funky designs that they can simulate and test while I am left with an pencil, paper, calculator and a load of formulae! However, I also believe that my speakers sound better than commercial ones at the same price. Seems odd.

If you want to try some simulation software, you might want to look into one of these free programs. They really allow you to experiment with your crossovers providing instant visual feedback. It almost feels like cheating.

XSim: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/softwar ... igner.html
VituixCAD: https://kimmosaunisto.net/

If you ever need to convert a picture of a response graph to .frd or .zma data you can also use this:
FP GraphTracer: http://labs.fprawn.com/index.php/fpgraphtracer/

Good Luck :thumbsup: