DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 20:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 03:59 

I am looking to put together a set of bass reflex speakers to go with my tube amp. I am thinking full range and around 6.5” diameter. I am experimenting with the various online box volume calculators where you load in the Thiele parameters and suggestions for box and port size are provided such as AJ Designer, WinIsd for instance. Does the community have any suggested programs or approaches to this that have met with success?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 05:48 

Oops, I see I should have placed this in the speaker section, my apologies.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 21:39 

If you want anything to have highs and not drop off in between 10-20KHZ
Then use full range speakers with a open baffle setup or cross over your speakers from 8kHZ

The speaker box amplifies the low to midrange and you will not get full rage response anymore

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 22:26 

Thanks. Some developments which may have defined the path ahead to an extent.

After considering some limited opportunities for full range drivers here in Australia to my knowledge I decided on the Dayton audio PS180 nominally 6.5 inch diameter driver. Although showing as in stock there will be a delay in receiving it now so maybe it isn't.

Specs at the link https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/sp ... 0Sheet.pdf. For some reason the Dayton audio site is linked the parts express?

The box calculators tried have consensus of around 70-80 Hz in ported box of about 15 litres. I will try all the software I can find for this driver and the box size of 15L and look at the range of results. Not reaching the full 20khz may not be harmful as my recent hearing test shows steep rolloff around 8 kHz. Others listening with me, not often, may appreciate the full range though so I should do my best. As before if anyone knows a trustworthy box model I would be grateful. Also once the volume is calculated are there golden ratios for length width and height? I've heard of the golden ratio in photography based on nature etc so probably exists for audio as well. I have an idea what I would like the dimensions to be but would be good to model whether good bad etc.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 22:59 

If your hearing rools off at arround 8 kHZ then you can create any custom box without having to worry about not having enough highs
Unless your doing something very wrong with the box design, unless delibratlrly to limit the HF in box design otherwise impossible to not meet your hearing range of 20-8K

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 07:38 

Here is the Unibox output for the data entry for the driver and the vented output. I changed the volume to 15L but the program originally recommended 13L.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 08:39 

with AJ Designer,results are similar, port length differs a bit. I would prefer to have a slotted port if possible.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 09:06 

AJ Designer includes a box dimension tool. Wanted dimensions can be constrained.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019, 21:48 
Project Author

Hi, I use LDC7 ...it came with a book. Nice program and shows similar results to the type you listed. The book however is best used in place of sleep aids as it is chock full of serious math and design equations. I've survived 4 semesters of calculus and differentials (as well as 2 of algebra and two of trig) but this stuff is out there. It hurts my mind to just think of it.

If you really want bass below about 60-70HZ you need to go to larger drivers. 8 inch will probably get you a decent 40-45 at some reasonable box size and efficiency. A thing to watch out for is the TS implications. The relationship between low frequency response, box size and efficiency is cube function. It however does not disclose what the distortion will be. You might get say 50HZ, but with 10-20% distortion. Not something I would like to do. I use 7 cubic foot vented enclosures with 15 inch drivers to get a clean 20HZ.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 01:54 

Thanks Bruce will look into that. Have sent an email to LDC requesting the software. Until recently I had a largish set of transmission lines using b139s which went down pretty low. Other frequencies were not great. Their bulk wasn't my significant other's favourite accessory so I will consider myself lucky to have another small set. :(