DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 08 May 2021, 03:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 18:57 
Project Author

EDIT (by diyAudioProjects.com) - 19 October 2008: See the project page: Fostex FE167E Bass Reflex Speakers for more details.

I bought a router a year ago and it is still in the box. For my Fostex FE167E (Gio's suggestion to match a small 6T9 valve amp). I had someone else make the boxes though I have built many enclosures in the past. I may make a pair myself and give the routing a go. It does add a more pro finish. I made grills for the first time for the Fostex speakers so anything is possible.

Also I have found if you are not use to the sound of a single driver speakers
Attachment:
Fostex-FE167E-Speaker-Grills.jpg
it does to a while to not only break the driver in but your ears. I'm just starting to enjoy mine. And with the ZCA - DIY Class A Mosfet Amp I have it matched with at the moment I'm very impressed.

High res photos of my DIY Fostex FE167E Bookshelf Speakers.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 08:16 
Editor

Mark, they look good. The grills turned out real nice. Like you are finding, these stiff fullrange speakers work best with amps that have a low damping factor.

Have you tried a BSC yet?

I'm glad you are liking them. Keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 22:00 
Project Author

What do you think of the high frequency's of this driver?

I found I wanted more.

Nice work as well.

Gary

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 01:02 
Project Author

As I have stated to others if you are not use to single driver speakers you find at first you are not to sure if what you are hearing is very good or very bad.

Two things are at play here first the drivers are new and they are extremely stiff and take many hours of play to loosen-up. To start with they just sound "funny" and your not sure??!!??

Secondly the they image extremely well because you have a point source of sound information and if you are use to large floor standing three-way speakers in the past the extreme imaging will shock you a little at first.

Once you have a couple of days of hard playing under you listen belt you realise there is plenty of good solid (and even reasonably deep bass) and the treble is well extended smooth and enjoyable. Voices can be a bit prominent but I don't mind that. I have found my Fostex, in the specified small enclosure, are fussy about which amp drives them but once you get the combo right they are extremely enjoyable. I usually listen to small two-way bookshelf speakers but combined with my ZCA amp and valve pre I am throughly enjoying the Fostex FE167E.

To simply answer your question, depending on other variables like your listening room, amp, source and generally hearing, I feel you will not find the treble response wanting. If you do, add a super tweeter.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 10:40 
Editor

Yes, Fostex speakers are very picky and can sure make a bad amp sound real bad. All the more reason to build a nice DIY amp! :)

What I like to do is toe the speakers in about 15 degrees and then have a super tweeter on top pointed outward at 15 to 30 degrees. This really seems to help the off axis response.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 18:07 
Project Author

I have been playing with the super tweeter facing backwards and liking what I'm hearing. I'll have to try your method Gio.

Gary

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 18:40 
Project Author

gmilitano wrote:
Yes, Fostex speakers are very picky and can sure make a bad amp sound real bad. All the more reason to build a nice DIY amp! :)

What I like to do is toe the speakers in about 15 degrees and then have a super tweeter on top pointed outward at 15 to 30 degrees. This really seems to help the off axis response.

I have been thinking about a super tweeter for mine. Do you have a number of suggestions? What about a ribbon?

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 21:14 

Well, that depends. What frequency you would like them to come in at? Also, what sort of efficiency are you looking for. I would suggest using any super tweeter with and l-pad so you have the flexibility to adjust the tone.

Bill

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 09:10 
Editor

Hi Mark,

The Fostex super tweeters are nice for 10kHz and up. A ribbon would also fill that role. These would help fill in off axis response as well.

Look at the Fostex FT17H or if you want something that site on top, the Fostex T90A.

Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 15:12 
Project Author

I have a pair of T90's that I like, but have really been pleased with the AV123 Ribbons that I bought not to long ago.