DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 13:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 01:47 

Hello Guys,

My name is Zach and Im a beginnner with tube hobby but have finished a few tube amp projects from scratch so Im well aware of the dangers with high voltage. I can follow a schematic but cannot design.

I would like to ask Matt's (Suncalc) or other experts for help with designing a power supply for a single ended El34 amplifier I would like to build as I have the quite a few of the el34 and 6sl7 and 5ar4 tubes and a couple 5 henry 10 ohm chokes at around 200ma. I do not have a power transformer but can have heyboer build one to according to spec as my mains voltage is at 123volts.

I have read Matt's introduction to power supply design and his new power supply for the 6v6 ultralinear amps he designed is just great having a separate supply for each channel.

thank you,
Zach

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 01:50 

I forgot to post a schematic for the amplifier.

Here is also a link to the schematic!
http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~alps_azumin ... 34_Amp.htm

thanks

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 14:53 

You may want to download Duncan's power supply designer (free). It is a great tool and will allow you to design simple or complex power supplies once you get the hang of the software. It is very accurate if you input the right info.

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 21:10 
Project Author

tubo wrote:
I would like to ask Matt's (Suncalc) or other experts for help with designing a power supply for a single ended El34 amplifier
Is there something particular you don't like about the one proposed (with the exception of the transformer? I would think that the Edcor XPWR008 would be an acceptable substitute in your case. You could substitute a 5H choke for the resistor pairs and add a dropping resistor to get the voltage back down to around 335V.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 22:10 

Suncalc wrote:
tubo wrote:
I would like to ask Matt's (Suncalc) or other experts for help with designing a power supply for a single ended El34 amplifier
Is there something particular you don't like about the one proposed (with the exception of the transformer? I would think that the Edcor XPWR008 would be an acceptable substitute in your case. You could substitute a 5H choke for the resistor pairs and add a dropping resistor to get the voltage back down to around 335V.

Hello Suncalc,

Thank you very much for responding. I have actually built the amplifier with the dual chokes but the amplifier still had a little bit of hum so I dismantled it but the amplifier sounded quite nice... . I was using a hammond 600vct power transformer at the time and a 5 henry choke and I was thinking that my power supply was not adequate. I have also read that the power supply plays a very important to the overall sound quality of the amplifier.

I will download the Duncan Power supply designer per recommendation of THD and keep re- reading your tutorial on power supply design until i understand it. I may also just order from heyboer a power transformer with similar specs to your recommended edcor as my mains voltage is between 123v to 125v.

thank you

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 22:50 

Hi Suncalc,

I just checked the edcor XPWR008 and it is also a 600vct transformer. If that is the required power transformer, I already have a hammond 600vct power transformer that will do the Job and the bonus is that it has a 125v primary which will be perfect for my application.

Should I still use the 5ar4 rectifier or Will I be better off using a 5u4 as it has a higher voltage drop than the 5ar4? For the Life of me I do not know how to use the PSU designer, Is there a tutorial on how to use it?

Best,
Zach

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 14:29 

Here is a tutorial. It should get you going. If not, we are here to help.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 21:00 

Hello Thd,

Thank you... I have been reading that tutorial im starting to hopefully starting to understand what I need to do. Im waiting for my laptop to get fixed ao I can download the PSUD... hopefully ill get it next week.

Thank you