DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 16:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inductive Feedback
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 16:15 

I had an idea regarding amplifier design that I wanted to pitch and get some opinions on (possibility, feasibility, or even advice on pushing forward on this potential project).

I am wondering if it is possible to use current induced by a speaker to estimate its instantaneous velocity by taking a difference between a theoretically perfect current draw and the real current draw of that speaker. Essentially, using the speaker coil as a velocimeter and making the feedback system turn any speaker into a servo driven speaker.

Post subject: Re: Inductive Feedback
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 22:22 

That sounds like some sort of massive innovation no one has ever done it so cannot answer you.
This could possibly get you a PHD degree.

Shortly speaking its impossible to do what you are trying to do.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 05:30 

No idea what you are talking, some drawing might help.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 17:10 
Project Author

Hi, Something maybe similar to what you want to do has been done in the past. Several companies attached sensors to the speaker's cones to measure how they acted when a signal was put to them and used the sensors to provide feedback to the amplifier. A servo type of arrangement. It was supposed to work well at low frequencies and as I recall was used to make compact powered sub woofers.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 19:19 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Something maybe similar to what you want to do has been done in the past. Several companies attached sensors to the speaker's cones to measure how they acted when a signal was put to them and used the sensors to provide feedback to the amplifier. A servo type of arrangement. It was supposed to work well at low frequencies and as I recall was used to make compact powered sub woofers.

Good listening
Bruce

Do they have any success? How does that sound?

I think this gets way too complicated. I think if one use an amp that has very low output impedance ( damping factor over 1000), very low inductance speaker cable. You really control the speaker already.

It's not practical to monitor the speaker movement, every speaker is different, they have different phase delay. How is the amp going to do the closed loop compensation for stability if they don't even know what speakers the customer is using.

Stability is a major problem with audio amps, making the speaker as variable can really rig havoc to the stability.

I think OP talked about monitoring the current through the speaker. I don't know whether it works, but at least it's a lot more simple. BUT is that accurate? You monitor the current, part of the current flow through the crossover, not the speakers, so you can be fooled.

I am not going to assume anything, OP need to be more specific before we start guessing.