DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 16:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: need some advice
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:49 

Remove the motor assy. by bending back a few tabs and inspect the gears. One of the gears may have slipped off. Make sure the spring washer is pushed all the way on. One of the purposes of that washer is to keep the slip clutch engaged. If there isn't enough tension on the slip clutch it will just spin and not turn the shaft. Oh also the white nylon washer(that is behind the spring washer) has 2 flatspots on it make sure that it is push on the shaft correctly if that spring washer isn't seated correctly.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 02:40 

kitchi wrote:
Remove the motor assy. by bending back a few tabs and inspect the gears. One of the gears may have slipped off. Make sure the spring washer is pushed all the way on. One of the purposes of that washer is to keep the slip clutch engaged. If there isn't enough tension on the slip clutch it will just spin and not turn the shaft. Oh also the white nylon washer(that is behind the spring washer) has 2 flatspots on it make sure that it is push on the shaft correctly if that spring washer isn't seated correctly.

Is this the spring washer you referred to. I bent up the tap to put more pressure onto the gear.
Attachment:
Spring.JPG

This is the view I just open the case:
Attachment:
Gear 3.JPG

This show the gears, I check the ring gear engages securely. There is no slipping of gear.
Attachment:
Gear 4.JPG

I checked, the gears are not slipping, only thing can slip is between the ring gear and the shaft. I bent the tap up as shown in the first picture to put a little more tention aganist the ring gear.

Anything you can suggest?

Thanks

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 06:22 

Unfortunately it isn't that is a different model pot than I have.
Try to apply 5 volts to the motor to see if it turns.
If it dose make sure the gear on the shaft is secure.
if all that works then turn the worm gear to see if you can manually turn the shaft.
Can you take another pic of the end of the pot with this removed.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 04:12 

Hi

This is the picture of the ring gear and the shaft.
Attachment:
Ring gear and shaft..JPG

The metal in the middle is the shaft connecting to the pot. There is already friction between the ring gear and shaft.

I checked, there is no gear slipping at all, so the only thing that can be wrong is the shaft and the ring gear is slipping. But it's pretty tight.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 05:53 

Have you tried to power up the motor ?
Spin the ring gear manual to see if the shaft turns and if it dose spin the ring gear manual and gold on to the shaft to check the tension between the ring gear and the shaft.
If all this checks out we have 2 things left to do.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 13:36 

kitchi wrote:
Have you tried to power up the motor ?
Spin the ring gear manual to see if the shaft turns and if it dose spin the ring gear manual and gold on to the shaft to check the tension between the ring gear and the shaft.
If all this checks out we have 2 things left to do.

No, I have no power up the motor with 5V yet.

Yes, the shaft turns with the ring gear. Even without the gold piece, there are quite strong friction between the ring gear and the shaft, they are not slipping at all.

Also, I checked the shaft without the ring gear, the shaft turns freely, this means the potentiometer part is not stuck.

The gears are not slipping, I verify that.

When everything is hooked up, I did measure with the scope that I have 5V across the motor when pushing the remote, the polarity switch when I push the other button. Everything seems to work except the pot was not turning right when it the amp. After I took the circuit board out and test, I couldn't duplicate the problem.

Strange.

Thanks

BTW, when I push the remote, I can hear the motor tries to run or run, the pot just not following.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 17:32 

Power up the motor while it is apart.
If the motor doesn't turn you have a bad motor.
If it dose turn than it must be binding on something when assembled.
Seems you tested the circuit that drives the motor under load and it measures fine these are the only 2 possibility's left.