DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 16:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: need some advice
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 19:48 

Here is the pot assembled.I haven't bent the tabs over to secure the motor but you can see all the pins.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 20:20 

Yeh, this is the kind I am not familiar with. Don't you have a sticker on the pot to show the part number? None of the pictures showed.

I looked on ebay, most don't show the bottom pins ( important for you as you have a switch for loudness). The few spec 6 pins that's not what you want.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xalps+motorized+.TRS0&_nkw=alps+motorized+potentiometer&_sacat=0

Sorry, still cannot help you.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 05:05 

Here is the only sticker that was on the pot and a pic of the board that it was soldered to.If it wasn't for the loudness tap on the pot this would be easy.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 08:52 

That last sight you where given has lots of dual 50K Log taper pots with the forth volume tap on the board, they just haven't added the forth pin.

It is possible to add the 4th pin but you will have to remove that dreaded washer, (they do come off if you careful removing them). I use a small flat screw driver blade to put between each slit in the washer and gently pry it way from the shaft. At the same time use a razor blade knife or something flat and thin under the washer to keep pressure on the washer. Going round and round the shaft moving the washer off little but each time. Slow and careful but then the whole assembly slides off the shaft. The washer is spring steel so it will go back on and hold as long as it isn't mangled 1/2 way threw the removal due to the index finger being impaled by the driver tip followed by (^%^^(%%tyu). A glass of wine or 2 may be required during this process. The trick then becomes finding a rivit gun and/or small rivits to compression fit the 4th pin to the board. They must be rivited on, they can not be soldered.

I would leave the existing pot alone and buy one of the ones with 3 pins but 4 positions for 4 pins and also buy an el-cheepo plain one to get the 4th pin from. That way you are not working on the customers parts. A little time, little learning, and the cost of 2 rivits and one extra plain pot is what it will take. Oh and the wine of coarse. The el-cheepo pot will give you 6 rivits and/or 6 pins moulded into rivits which gives you 6 tries at removing2 that you can then use as the 4th pins.
Sometimes what you need is just no longer available and mother nature and invention must take over.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 11:12 

thank you Laurie54 i will do as you suggest

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 11:55 

Just wait until the email of Accuphase is up on 11/5 and ask them to see whether you can buy the part from them. I would not modify customer's unit. If anything happens, you can get blame.

The sticker 015t did not come up in the search.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 16:10 

I am not intending to modifying anything. if the part is not available than too bad get someone else to stick their neck out and mod it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 17:10 

Thank You everyone for your input. I got it apart after 4 coffee's stuck my fingers 3 times and a few choice words later it is apart.

the resitive elements don't seem to be too bad but what I found is some hardened brown gunk on the wiper assemblies.
I scrubbed them to a shiny gleam and then cleaned everything again before assembly.
tested with my analog meter and the needle moves smoothly. But the real test in in the amp.
later on I will put it back into the amp and test.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 13:42 

Way to go. The brown gunk is probably old grease. It is added for lubrication and partly for isolation from air (preventing oxidation). I'm happy you decided to take the plunge. It's a bit scary and finicky but in the end the knowledge gained is invaluable.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 15:51 

I am having problem with my ALPS motorize pots, multiple ones, BRAND NEW. My problem is the pot won't turn, gear is slipping. I opened it up, there is no adjustment, it's designed to slip when you hit the end, but it slip too easy even in the middle of the turn. I am converting my power amp into integrated amps and I am just getting them up and the problem shows. I can't even blame the Chinese seller as I have two of the pots bought from Mouser gone bad, it's not a fake ALPS, it's lousy design.

I layout the preamp pcb for the pot, now if I change pot, I have to re-layout the pcb. This really sucks.