DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 12:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 21:09 
Project Author

The new premium stepper
Attachment:
Elite Inside (800x449).jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 01:49 

wow nice

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2018, 19:08 
Project Author

Elite twins, one for me and a commission job.
Attachment:
EliteTwins.jpg
Attachment:
EliteTwinsRear.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 19:19 
Project Author

After building a hybrid headphone amp with a 4SU front end and a PT2308 chip HP amp back end I added a HP chip amp section to Elite. The two Grant Fidelity Psvane globes look the part and are divine sounding as a preamp but make an excellent HP amp. When the headphones are plugged in they disconnect the output RCAs on the rear. When no headphones are plugged in the HP section of the preamp is disconnected so it doesn’t interfere with the excellent sound of the preamp.
Attachment:
C7924C97-6EF1-4CDC-9B55-71229653EFD4.jpeg

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2019, 00:40 
Project Author

Ever tried to fix something which is not broken because you think it shouldn’t work that way it does. I have made four of these active load preamps. In the second last one I added a headphone driver. When head phones are plugged in the jack it cuts out the RCAs out which are used when Elite is just a preamp.

To get better performance from the preamp/HP amp I moved the pot from the backend (where it is on the other three builds) to the front end. That meant the expensive Jansen CuPIO output caps could feed directly into the HP chip amp with no other input cap needed.

The reason why this cct. is described with attenuator on the rear is because active load is very microphonic. With the attenuator on the output you hold the noise down and the music level very quickly swamps any noise from the tubes. BUT put the pot on the front you get the full microphonic noise unattenuated and the music level lower. Fortunately some old RCA 6SN7s aren’t naturally noisy and with these in the system the preamp/HP amp is very good. But put some better Psvane or Chuguang tubes in the noise swamps the music.

I’ve spent two weeks trying to get the microphonics out. It’s a part of the build. Best I can do is move the pot to the backend and add some interstage caps into the HP chip amp section. Best way to go.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2019, 10:39 
Project Author

Hi, I suspect the tube types are the main source of the micro phonics. However I use the SRPP (aka active loaded triode) configuration with 12AU7 types all the time and it is the basis for the kit Forewatts. The volume control is in the input side. They don't have the problems Mark is running into. The volume control in the front insures that the circuit cannot be over driven, the penalty is that the residual circuit noise is always present at the output. With the Forewatts this is quite low and typically in the -85 dbv or better range. Mine typically show about -92 dbv.

Good listening
Bruce

EDIT: is it possible to put a rubber or silicone damper around the tubes like "EAR" often does? It won't be as pretty , but then it might solve the problem.