DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 11:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Music in our Lives
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 15:32 

Quote:
I have the last dog I will ever have at the mo and she is getting on. We travel OS too much for at least a month at a time. Hard to get a dog minder. The music will remain and DIY will remain.

The last dog sounds terrible.

No matter how long you are without one there will be a hole in your life. I wasn't going to have another when my last one died, its like loosing a member of the family.

I have always had DIY equipment sometimes DIY music and amps, I tried a couple of times using all bought equipment. I looked at the equipment and admired its looks and shiny exterior while fighting the its "quite good" thoughts trying to convince myself. But it was all in vain, a visit to the high end shows and thinking I could make one of those with etc etc.

:D But what music to play? Music has always been essential, if the equipment limits play/listen time then its modify the equipment. Film watching is also essential with the new super LED displays to quote the salesperson "where the black is darker and super sharp picture at 4K" Whoooaa really I said, yes said the sales person and the sound comes through the screen :confused: does it use tubes or valves? :D Er I haven't seen that is it new technology? said the salesperson<<<NB non gender specific. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:02 
Project Author

A little off thread but about life as is music. I've only had pure bred Borzois before the Shitzutoy poodle cross and she has cost us a packet in vet fees etc. But she does not drop coat. But a really beautiful, loving animal. She joins me 5 days a week for my 4 hour music sessions. The Borzois rarely had a vet visit but shed a ton of coat in the summer.

I'm really about the music but my hobby is building DIY audio gear. I could have stopped with the tube amps and gear I built years ago but my hobby pushes me to build more. I'm a bit over a lot of audio mates who listen to thier gear first and the music is second. Test tracks, demo tracks and one track wonders leave me cold. If testing new gear I get it but if every session is test tracks, where is the music. Give me whole pieces everytime.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:53 

When I was younger,

music was always played, mainly records but at one point I built a "hifi" cassette player which was quite interesting to build.
I remember finding personal meaning within the lyrics.
Times move on and technology changes, but I often wonder if it removes the "fun aspect" as we move to the cloud players.

My dog spends hours alongside me watching and listening to music/films. Sometimes I cover the dogs eyes when a scary bit comes on, LOL but I wonder what the dog thinks.
I remember a woman saying to me she was worried that the dog may out live her and that both she and the dog would not be found while the dog starved alone.

It’s interesting to reflect on content in music and films, it depends on the content, but I remember in the 70's and the nuclear threat being mentioned and wars, but when you are younger you are more resilient or just took no interest. In todays world it’s difficult to reflect: the reason is usability.

I remember listening to a song "give peace a chance:
But at the time I didn't understand what it was about.
The music contained it, the lessons at school taught it in current affairs, university students protested about it and people turned to "easy listening" not because they didn't care but many had seen war in 1940. Everyone either didn't understand it or chose to turn away because they had no control. Today the warnings are there in the likes of AI but the closest you can get in music is "my automatic lover". I think in the past it was in mind, today we are like everyone was in the war era. The point is everyone knows its a possibility but what can you do? People just get on with life and prefer light hearted music<<sounds a bit like a new "easy listening" dosen't it. The music again reflects the news headlines, Quote News today everyone is walking in a trance into possible disaster.
In the past on Sundays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgEWhdsKlc

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 17:04 
Project Author

Hi Folks, No harm wandering a bit, I started the thread with the expectation it would spark some interesting thoughts. Yes I have run into people who spend all the time with test tracts etc. Not my style. I like music...many types. As most of you know I do some diy as well (right, just a little). I tend to stick to tube gear, but other stuff is fine as well. That is when I think I can do it better or cheaper .... My music collection is split about 50-50 on CDs and vinyl. There are some downloads, but not nearly as many as the others. I don't have any dogs at present although there were a few in times gone by. Presently there are some all black cats though (they have longish fur and shed prolifically) . They assist ( 8-) )better than the dogs ever did. Contrary to popular belief you can train them a bit...at least not to jump on the turntable when it is playing. They don't mess around much when I'm soldering either...burnt fur is well kind of special. Funny thing is that while I love music I find that I don't listen to any in my vehicle. Even long trips with the person who must be obeyed. It is the perfect opportunity to talk, another thing that seems to be downgraded in our present era.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 17:26 

Quote:
Hi Folks, No harm wandering a bit

Remember we are in the age of Aquarius....The dawn is breaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

Its been breaking since I can remember, its supposed to be the age of enlightenment.
When I look back over the years it stops me in amazement of stupidity and tech development.
The speed of change isn't really gradual, I remember the Sinclair pocket calculator, ZX80/81 et all
then wham mobile phones and AI about 30 years and we understand quantum mechanics, but not life or death.
Can you imagine in 1000 years if we still exist or was it in the year 2525 if man is still alive...
If woman can survive. We even now use Einstein's theory of relativity to compensate for time change with speed and distance on sat navigation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 01:12 
Project Author

Bruce, in the car, by myself on only FM radio and only ABC Classical (think BBC classical). So classical music all the way. When anyone is in the car, music off! The car will play from USB or CD but in the four years I've had in the car I've played one CD.

With the radio its a mixed bag of classical and often I pickup on a new piece then when home purchase and download it myself. It's a cheap way of being introduced to new music like Zelenka and Spohr.

With three big changes in my system in the last few weeks I'm relistening to all the favs for a fresh presentation of the music. The changes are; Altec 511B horns with Faital drivers, 12" woofer in sealed bass boxes, Psvane Treasure 6SN7-SE active load preamp and 150W Class D Tripath monoblocks. Only the sources are unchanged. Not hard to see all the music will sound different. It's a new adventure. Bring it on.