DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 14:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: speaker help
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 23:08 

or may be this one depending on what i will need.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 15:56 
Project Author

Hi, Looking at the speakers you are starting with I question as to whether they are really worth the effort to use in a new enclosure you plan on building. As far as I can tell none are really all that great and probably should be left in the original housing. Some thoughts....I have several speaker systems, some rather high end and costly. It actually surprised me that all of them are two way systems. The huge Altec Lansing (internal volume of right at 200 L) ones are, the Martin Logan Electrostatics are and so on. This sort of tells me that a two way is just fine. Looking at the drivers you have and the lack of crossovers except on the one tweeter indicates to me that most of them are there as a marketing ploy. It is possible that some better performance could be obtained with careful choice of crossovers. But with essentially no data on the speakers it would really be hit or miss. In a generic system the woofers would cross over between 300 and 700HZ, mids from there to about 5000-8000HZ and the tweeters would handle everything above that. These are just rough values, there are many alternatives. It really looks like your woofers are more of a mid bass type and could go up to 1000HZ or so. Since there are no crossovers in any now, I would opt for simple first order 6 db up and down crossovers at about 1000HZ, and 8000HZ. There are numerous references on the web on how to choose the components. They would also indicate that the mid range driver should be hooked up in reverse phase. This would entail the minimum of additional components and be most likely to match the speakers you have. All that said some things come to mind. First I would start fresh with newly sourced speakers. Some very nice systems can be built from plans on the web (see ones on Parts Express in particular). The costs would be modest and you would virtually be guaranteed a quality system. Let us know how it works out.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 22:04 

Hi Bruce,

Well I have calculate the crossover for a 3-way (tweeter 8 ohms, middle 16 ohms, and woofer 8 ohms). I got this as a results. Have a look at it and let me know. Thanks.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 00:17 

Hi Bruce,

First of all thank you for the information given to me on the situation of the speakers. I know from the first place that these are not great speakers that i am going to work on. as in Mauritius there are not really a great audio store to buy speakers etc. I can order from overseas but the only matter is the TAX here. It is very heavy and i might pay double the price purchased. that is why my options now is to start with what i have. I also have a nice set of Speakers for my music at home is a Clarion speakers(pictures attached). I want to build one for my TV so don't really need something very good as long there is a good sound. next year i will be working on something better and i am going to asked one of my cousin to bring over all components and speakers. this project will be a big one for me as i want to achieve the highest in DIY Speaker Project.

thanks.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 09:55 

before you worry about the crossover can you show us the box plan? size(volume of the box) and placement can effect what needs to be done with respect to x-over.

being somewhere like an island must suck when it comes to what's available and the price!!

in a sound bar scheme the Sony drivers you have should be ok (it's what you've got)!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 04:21 

Hi Paolo I think that you should get the technical parameters of the bass loudspeaker and then simulate various enclosure volumes in a free HIFI enclosure software and find the best adapted one for the lower frequency you are looking for.
2nd question: were you satisfied with the bass sound coming from the original box?
Alain

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 09:32 

Sorry I did not read page 2, so I believe that my information may be irrelevant at this stage.