DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 16:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:45 

I'm not supprised because high gain means higher gain at high frequency without the use of cascoding.

Its configured as non inverting op amp.

The 4 stage pre amp is also running on +-12v

192v/uS with 12au7

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:17 

Thing with higher gain op amps is that the NFB corrects most errors including poor PCB layout.
NFB fix most errors but not all errors that will hamper sound quailty.

More NFB more open loop frequency response

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 02:54 

It's hard to talk without knowing what you are doing. No, NFB is not going to fix pcb layout error. At high frequency, oscillation is the main issue, then cross talk. War is won or lost on the pcb layout. Been doing this for years to say this. That's why I layout my own pcb, layout pcb is 40% or more of the design.

Actually the NFB is only used for final touch only.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 03:53 

All that is massive slew rate is by removing the huge bottle neck the slow output transistors.
Virtually same schematic as my slow head amp but with one of the stages modified for valve gain to get hifi sound.

This shows the 4 voltage gain stage head amp using same transistors as the pre amp bc547b, has the capability of being wide gain bandwith for low distortion and the ksd882 are fake transistors with very low transistion frequency

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 12:25 

I don't think you can conclude that. Big transistor has higher input capacitance, it depends on your driver stage. As I said, you keep talking, but no schematic. From my understanding, you don't use emitter follower as output. If you use common emitter output stage, larger transistor means larger miller caps and load the driver a lot more. If you are using common emitter, that's bad idea as a starter. Nobody use common emitter output stage other than nelson Pass using common source. It's just very inferior.

But, it's your amp, just get some other transistors.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 12:42 

You have to look at other parameters other than fT. For me, there are faster power transistor by Sanken, they are 60MHz. Problem is Cob is very high, that tells me their Ccb and Ceb are high. That will load the driver stage and add capacitance at the output. I decided to use TTC5200 and TTA1943 for it's very low capacitance.

It's not that simple that you change to a TO-92 and see it's faster and claim the KSD is fake. Small signal transistor has much lower capacitance and make everything a lot easier. You have to actually test the fT of the transistor with the specified condition to tell.

Again, no schematic, not much to talk.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 15:30 

Theres no way a KSD882 can have higher capacitance and lower transition frequency than a tip41c.
Geniune KSD882 is TO-126 smaller and faster than TIP41C TO-220

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 15:46 

Don't know, you have to test it the right way, not putting into the amp and judge.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2018, 18:36 

I've been moding a sound luster latley, before mods this is what is looks like starts clipping at arround 24.5v pk-pk into 8r
Sound qualitywise before mods is same as ma9s2 clone at medium output levels

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2018, 22:58 

Heres the thing modded to absolute limits just to show you how much distortion a single ended valve amp has.
The pk-pk V swing has been increaced by 2v after modding and open loop distoriton greatly reduced and has NFB to reduce gain from 21x to 12.5x.

I really like the valvy electoron sound after the mods worth listening as orginal one just all over the place and not worh listening at all.

The one also very poor opt where the high inductance causes 20khz voltage to be only 40% of 1khz when no feedback is applied, after nfb the voltage about 80% of 1khz

Fairly clean up untill 18v pk-pk at 10khz very little visible distortion and below that distriton is hard to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next