DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 21:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 11:06 

Last year I built a Lacewood V2 and mounted a line stage, tone stack preamp on top. The line stage, tone stack preamp had its own power supply so I could put it in front of other amplifiers, should I want to.
A friend would like me to build him an all in one unit. The power supply for the Lacewood V2 has a Hammond 270FX transformer and the 6.3v filament winding is rated at 5A. The total filament draw for the Lacewood V2 plus the two 12AU7s' needed for the tone stack preamp is 2.325A so I am well within limits. My question is, will the 150mA rating for the H.T. be enough for the Lacewood V2 and the tone stack preamp? I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread that the Lacewood V2 draws just under 1A.
(Note: I use a Hammond 370FX, as here in Spain I have 230V mains supply).

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 19:08 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
My question is, will the 150mA rating for the H.T. be enough for the Lacewood V2 and the tone stack preamp?
Yes. The Lacewood V2 draws about 86mA for both channels. The preamp will only draw a handful more.

The bigger issues of which to be aware is that you need to be very careful that the preamp and power amp legs of the power supply have good filter isolation. Otherwise you could run into issues. In general this means an extra stage of power supply filtering for the preamp.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 06:58 

Seperate diodes or valve rectifiers can be used to fully isolate the voltage ripple from the power amp and pre amp high voltage supply.
Two diodes or 4 depending on transformer used for power amp, then directly from the same transformer ac rails you have another 2-4 diodes in parallel but the dc output is isolated and connected to its own filtering capacitor for pre amp section.

I did this is a +-12v hybrid pre amp I designed and fully isolated the buck converter from the +-12v rails.
EDIT: Buck converter for valve heater, as easiest way to get locked on 6.3v and can run heatsinkless with 1.2A output buying just cheapest ones from aliexpress

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 11:20 

Matt, can it be done as easily as this or would it be better to run a left and right version to keep things balanced?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 18:17 

You can't just put 20k and expect to get 265v at tone stack pre amp.
You have to find out the operating current of pre amp then do V = IR to find the actuall voltage after filtering

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 19:03 
Project Author

It can be done as easily as that but ILoveHiFi is correct; you need to calculate the drop. The tone stack preamp with cathode follower maxes out at about 7mA for two channels. Assuming a 20kΩ dropper would give a drop of about 140v (20000Ωx0.007A) which is far too large. You would want to shoot for about 40v or so. This would indicate a resistance of about 40v/0.007A ≈ 5.7kΩ (5.6kΩ is a standard value). If you wanted to separate the preamp channels then the current drops in half and the resistance doubles.

The 5.6kΩ/47µf cap pair yields about 44dB of ripple isolation at 100Hz ripple frequency (2x50Hz). If you separated the preamp supplies left and right, the current halves and the resistor should be doubled to 11.2kΩ (11.5kΩ s a standard value) This filter stage (i.e. 11.5kΩ/47µf) would yield about 51dB of ripple isolation.

Either one of these solutions should be more than acceptable.

Just make sure you watch for all the normal pitfalls (ground loops and such). This is a complicated build. Use a BIG chassis.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 05:35 

Thanks Ilovehifi, Matt,
Another light bulb moment for me.
Would it be okay to build as shown here Matt. I read that you prefer a 300V B+ for the tone stack preamp.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 10:46 
Project Author

Yes. That should work.

With the 2.7kΩ/47µf stage you get about 38dB of ripple isolation. With the other filter stage isolation to the drivers (20kΩ/47µf, ≈55dB @100Hz) and the large final capacitor at the power stages (100µf, Xc≈16Ω @100Hz) this should be sufficient to give very clean power to the preamp and to inhibit B+ feedback.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 11:10 

Thanks for your time Matt. I don't understand how you calculate ripple isolation, nor how to inhibit B+ feedback.I think I'll leave those questions for a later date. Just happy to say I've learnt something today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23