DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 14:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 03:07 

And now some testing. Its alive! :up: 144V on both channels. Heaters also working good with just a little voltage drop below 6V. Just tested music with my telephone in and it works, a little low output perhaps (phone is maybe not a good driver)... will try later direct drive with my Rega DAC. Will come back with my thoughts soon. Absolutely no hum :D

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 04:24 

ForsbackaKalle wrote:
And now some testing. Its alive! :up: 144V on both channels. Heaters also working good with just a little voltage drop below 6V. Just tested music with my telephone in and it works, a little low output perhaps (phone is maybe not a good driver)... will try later direct drive with my Rega DAC. Will come back with my thoughts soon. Absolutely no hum :D

Hello Kalle?

same issue with my phone's output. In fact, a smartphone output is no line output. As you say, a DAC or CD will provide much greater voltage. The amp can provide a lot of power on its output, if you provide appropriate input levels. Clipping is far away, you will be deaf before clipping.
Charles

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 02:47 

Yes, this headphone amp rock. Works great with my Rega DAC and absolutly no hum. And the power is also more than needed. Used with Sennheiser HD600 and DIY streamer with Raspberry pi, HiFiBerry Digi + Pro and a decent power supply using Volumio. :headphones: : headphones:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 10:51 

Hi folks.

After having discounted tube projects as too hard or complex for ages, I finally decided to actually commit to one, this one, and have ordered the transformers. I wanted something that could add to my FiiO E10K that's been my desktop DAC/amp for a while now, and this looked like both a nice entry into tube projects, as well as a somewhat budget upgrade to my audio gear.
Now as a first in probably a long line of questions: How inadvisable would exposed tubes be when there's a desktop PC sitting a few feet away from the amp. As much as I like the visuals offered by a nice glowing vacuum tube, I have the feeling they'd pick up a fair bit of noise from all the HF signals in a PC?

Greetings

Geoff

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 17:09 
Project Author

HI, I have been travelling and didn't see this question. The tubes in this design can be exposed. The gain is small and the tubes generally not sensitive to direct EMI or vibration. Just keep them away from AC power transformers as that would tend to couple hum into the circuit which would certainly be audible. A CRT monitor might also cause problems.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 17:28 
Project Author

Nim wrote:
How inadvisable would exposed tubes be when there's a desktop PC sitting a few feet away from the amp. As much as I like the visuals offered by a nice glowing vacuum tube, I have the feeling they'd pick up a fair bit of noise from all the HF signals in a PC?
Just for reference, I had my build (the one pictured below) by my computer.
Attachment:
6DJ8_front.jpg
It was sitting on my desk at work for over a year. It was about 18" from my laptop computer dock and within two feet of dual widescreen 26" monitors. There was also florescent lighting directly over my desk.

I never experienced any noise or interference from either my work computer or the lighting.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 18:06 

I see not only does the 6EM7 have it's own personality,,,,,, it has a "mini me". Beautiful work Matt.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 18:06 

Thanks for the replies! Managed to get the transformers so far, which came in pretty fast considering I'm in the EU. I hope to be able to tinker away around Christmas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57