DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 12:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 23:17 

This answers my question very well. Never in parallel (without much added cir to monitor) is very clear. Thank you so much.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 00:34 

laurie54 wrote:
I wanted to know if the 6as7 tubes can be paralleled directly. It would seem to be the answer to driving lower impedance phones such as 32 ohm.

Note that Bruce Rozenblit are using them in one of his books parallelled (to lower Zout - OTL-design). The only thing he writes about parallelling the tubes is that they should be of the same make (producer).

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 07:23 

laurie54 wrote:
This answers my question very well. Never in parallel (without much added cir to monitor) is very clear. Thank you so much.

I'm using paralleled 6082's (same as 6080 except 26V heaters) in a regular OTL for driving loudspeakers, and it works perfectly well. I'm travelling right now and can't check the series resistors I'm using with each of them; from memory it's probably 2.7ohms per section. So absolutely no problem with using them in parallel, in my experience.

[Just managed to find the schematic I'm using; indeed, 2.7 ohms per triode section. I also found Bruce Rozenblit's schematic, and he doesn't use any series resitors at all.]

Chris

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 18:42 

Sorry I'm a noob at power supplies, I haven't built too many amps.

If I were to use https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr182 as my tranny, and a 5U4G Rectifier, which wires from the tranny would go to which places on the B+ and Heater? And where does the B+ get connected to the amp? Obviously the heater connects to the tubes, but not sure where the b+ goes.

Sorry, and thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 23:07 

mmmmmm sch's are always great candy. Since i asked the about paralleling outs i have found a series of pics on the interior of a well known company's equivalent amp. It also parallels with no problem. I finally received the 6as7 and a 6080 tubes so i am into the cabinet building. Spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 19:39 

Got everything all sorted out, ordered parts too.

Last thing I can't seam to get tho, how does the B+ connect to the amp? I expected it to have 2 connection spots, to create a closed loop, but I only see one connection to B+ on the schematic. The heater is easy as it's just in series with the heater plates of the tubes, but the B+ I can't seam to get. Any help would be great! Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 20:23 

To be honest with you DutchGFX, (and we have all been where you are at this moment), At this point i would strongly suggest you find someone locally in your area who may know more about electronics as you do now, and ask if they can help a bit to get you started. Perhaps bring a copy of the sch with you to show.
Not knowing where the other end of a LETHAL POTENTIAL of ENERGY is,, is,, a bit over line. You have the need and desire for this craft but you also must respect your own limits and know when to get help. It is of no shame to seek help and you always can use friends with alike interests.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 07:32 

Again, I totally agree with laurie54.

Your lack of experience (for now) and building HV devices along with headphones, in my opinion may be a big risk.

Please consider another circuit, if you really want tubes, try a low voltage one.

I guess the 12AU7 and the IRF510 are great, and they run at 24v.

Keep safe my friend! ;)

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2018, 12:50 

Hello all! Please excuse me for resurrecting this thread!
I am new to DIY tubes. I have tackled a 12 and 48 volt project and I would like to hear what I'm missing...

I have a question in regards to the power supply schematic. The chokes on the amp and heater are named for their amperage. Would this be the current handling or saturation current?

Thanks in advance! I am slowly learning what everything does but design is beyond me at the moment. Any deviation or ignorance and I've hit a wall. I'm wiring by numbers! :D

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 18:11 
Project Author

Generally maximum current capability. You should stay well under this limit.