DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 13:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 17:05 

:)

Last edited by ozapaydin on 03 Dec 2018, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 17:42 

Cathode current of kt120s is 137 mA and 138 mA. Oh man, this thing is really getting hot.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 02:03 

Is it normal to see 76 volts above the ground on the positive leg of the heater of the first kt120 tube after relay is closed? The potential difference between the positive and the negative legs of the heaters (both KT120s included) is 13 volts. Nothing wrong there. But 13 volts potential difference is maintained with 76 volts on the positive leg and 63 volts on the negative leg (measurement reference is the ground) if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 02:11 

That is done on purpose. Bruce always uses a reference voltage on the heater to avoid possible arcs and shorting inside the tubes especially on the SRPP stage. In the SRPP circuit it is easy to exceed the heater to cathode voltage ratings of the tube, causing an internal short. You should never ground the heater circuit on such design, doing so defeats the purpose of elevating the heater voltages

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 14:15 

Thank you. The interesting thing about this problem is that it does not occur everytime the amplier is turned on. Should I suspect 0.2 uF cap between pin 1 and 2 of lm555? Cause, mine is a very tiny one. If it is short, is it possible to see this problem?

ozapaydin wrote:
Houston, I have a problem. The relay is closing after about 50 seconds but opens again after a few seconds. What might be the problem?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 05:59 

Congratulations... :up: I'm also very close to getting some sound out of my prototype :) I can't see the pictures you shared though. Led touch is a very handy feature. Can you share how you did it?

TIJ-NIKI wrote:
I decided to add a little touch, the power button led breathes while the tubes are warming up, once the relays turn on the main the led stands still

https://i.imgur.com/jXYO9Oz.gifv

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 08:46 

Hi, I used a dual pole double throw relay on the timer circuit. One pole switches on the b+ the other is connected on no on a lm358 breather circuit, the other side to cathode. So when the timer is still counting the b+ is not connected and the led is connected to the breather, once the timer reaches one minute the b+ is connected and the led bypass the breather so it stands on still.

For the pictures the hosting website must have removed it, gonna upload some in a sec

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 10:19 

For some reason on mobile I keep getting logged out before being able to load pics.. Have some links
https://i.imgur.com/QqZTe8b.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9jYNMJR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tRvQKWS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DRsZgsM.jpg

I absolutely love how these 12sl7 sound. They are an Italian clone of old RCAs. New old stock, i wish I could find more

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 21:29 
Project Author

Hi, Did you solve the relay problem?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 11:59 

Hi Bruce,
I was away from home. So, I couldn't deal with the problem. I'll hopefully take care of it in the weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next