DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 20:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 12:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 10:23
Posts: 217
Location: Austin, TX
Crazzy, I don't know for sure, but in researching the topic for my Adcom on DIYAudio, I read that you should always buy the complementary listed on the data sheet. They said it is tough enough to find a complementary to match hfe and Vbe. Pulling another 'like' part from another manufacturer would be harder. Again, I'm no expert...just passing along what I read.

_________________
Rega P25 and LFD Mistral phono (analog) or Oppo DVD Player (digital) > Aunt Corey's Buffered Pre > Adcom GFA 535 > Spica TC-50


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 12:52 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 17:35
Posts: 901
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
That is what I think to, and that is why I wanted to go for NTE instead, thanks for your opinion sonidos it can be very helpful to know what others think.

After I get some more house cleanup done I will set up my rig with the 12V power supplies, 100 watt light bulb and the Tip35/36's that I have, and see what kind of result I get. My dad is in Mongolia for two weeks so me and my mom have the entire house to our selves, meaning we can rearrange and clean the main room were I set up my equipment, the PC room will be next and then it's back to the work shop to finish up the rest of the junk removal.

I wish you luck to you and that Adcom, at least you don't have mass piles of broken and partially assembled projects to go through.

_________________
My Mini 12AU7 Tube Preamp, Pioneer SX-D7000, JVC XL-V221BK, JBL L80T, DCM TF700


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 14:00 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 10:23
Posts: 217
Location: Austin, TX
Crazzy, no problem. I was talking to a coworker, who is an old Navy tech about my transistor issues. I told him that I think of it as each brand (Sanyo, Pioneer, Fairchild, IRF) has it's own house recipe. I need to stay with the house recipe (pnp/npn) as much as possible.

Good luck! Oh, and my cousin wants to drop off his dead Rotel receiver. So, my first collection! :D

_________________
Rega P25 and LFD Mistral phono (analog) or Oppo DVD Player (digital) > Aunt Corey's Buffered Pre > Adcom GFA 535 > Spica TC-50


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 15:45 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 17:35
Posts: 901
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
So it has been a while since I have taken a gamble with this receiver..... well for the past week I have been working on getting the numerouse broken stereos that have been laying around collecting dust and this just happens to be one of them..... as of now I have the receiver working! Well only one channel because I accidentally installed a bad output transistor in the Right channel.... I am lucky for the 100 watt light bulb because I would have been right back to ground zero.

I removed the power connector from the Right channel and because the output relay does not trigger (the protection circuit cannot be fooled!) I used an alligator clip and wire to bypass the relay, and amazingly it worked, very clear audio considering all the substitutes I am using, mostly recycled parts.

I managed to gather enough Toshiba 2SC3280's and 2SA1301's in common pairs, so what the heck, I have nothing to lose by trying them since I was just going to junk the amplifier section any way if I couldn't get it working, and I would have spent around $200 just to get replacement NTE outputs.

Now that I have it working..... IT sounds darn good for such a complex piece of equipment!!! :headphones:

I plan on making up a new amplifier schematic and power supply schematic, there are modifications I did to improve the power supplies, and I also removed the brittle sockets for the output transistors and directly soldered the wires, this makes for a more reliable contact.

Feel free to ask questions at will...

_________________
My Mini 12AU7 Tube Preamp, Pioneer SX-D7000, JVC XL-V221BK, JBL L80T, DCM TF700


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy