DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 10:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 16:12 
Project Author

Hi, Did you fix the problem in the cathode circuit of the driver? If so then you might change the coupling capacitors, but it is unlikley they are a problem. Are both channels equal in volume/gain? What are you using as a source to determine if there is a loss of high frequencies?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 18:43 

Capacitor or transformer damage is unlikley the prolbem anyways

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 21:54 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, Like I indicated I have compiled an overview of the Poddwatt type amplifiers. I will try to post the whole thing here.
EL84/Poddwatt Amplifier Update June 2019

This design has gone through 5 main versions. Each version has built on the strengths of the previous ones. For convenience I will call them all Poddwatts and label the versions A through E. I have attached generic / typical schematics for each version. As a diy amplifier begun in 2008, it has evolved in the past 10 years. It is impossible to list all the minor variations that have been built. As a result there is significant overlap between the types. I did not include the power supplies as they tend to be less variable. The latest ones use DC heaters and regulated B+ for the driver stage. Both features are desirable for the best performance but amplifiers without either will actually sound quite excellent. I recommend that the balancing modification in version “D” not be used as it can cause reliability issues. I encourage builders to use quality coupling capacitors as they have a significant effect on the sound. Transformers other than the Edcor ones are fine, but I cannot guarantee they will perform the same. I suggest using the NFB configuration indicated in the schematics, not because it will do much to the sound, but to guard against above audio band resonances that can color the sound and possible ringing in very high audio frequencies. It is under 3 db and IMO innocuous.

The first version (the posted EL84 Project) was quite good in performance and easy to build. It is characterized by the use of Edcor CXPP-25 watt size output transformers and the use of only one coupling capacitor in the output stage. It used 12AU7 (ECC802S) driver tubes.
Attachment:
Early Type A.jpg

The second version type “B” was a budget version of the amplifier and used Edcor GXPP10-6-10K output transformers. This reduced the cost significantly and maintained most of the performance of the originals. It also uses 5751 driver tubes in place of the original 12AU7 types for additional gain. Grid stopper resistors and a negative feedback network were added.
Attachment:
Early Type B.jpg

The third version (“C”) was set up to use either the original transformers, the GXPP ones or in final designs a custom Edcor transformer designed especially for the amplifiers. This was the Edcor CXPP10-MS-10K (also listed as EMO750). It used coupling capacitors on both output tube grids and a resistor from the slave tube’s grid to ground equal in value to the one on the active tube. This was done to make the resistance values match and slightly improve linearity. The second capacitor helps match the AC grid input impedance for each tube. It is not exact as it ignores the anode impedance of the previous stage but is sufficient to be effective. A few amps used the bias adjustment found in version “D”.
Attachment:
Type C.jpg

The fourth version type “D” (very few of these exist) overlaps the previous type but uses a variation of the adjustment procedure for balancing the output tubes. A DC voltage is taken from the driver tube anode supply, filtered and run through a network with control pot and fed to each output tube grid through high value resistors. This is similar to a fixed bias arrangement, but uses positive voltages not negative ones. The voltage applied is in the 5-10 volts DC range. This seems contrary to good practice but when examined carefully it is quite acceptable. The current and thus the voltages on the tube cathodes are controlled by the LM317. Increasing the positive voltage on the grids increases the voltages on the cathodes by an equal amount. The total current is unchanged. This has several effects. First it eliminated the variable resistor in the cathode circuit. Second it provided additional negative headroom for the output tubes (by raising the cathode voltage). This is important as the LM317s are not linear below about 3 volts DC. The added cathode voltage insures they will always remain in a linear range unless the amp is severely over driven into clipping.
Attachment:
Type D.jpg

The fifth and current version “E” has a number of new features. It standardizes the use of the Edcor CXPP10-MS-10K output transformer. The transformers were used in some prototypes of the earlier versions, but not standardized for them. In any of the versions the original 25 watt transformers may be used with virtually identical performance. They are physically much larger though. The “E” version is a dual mono configuration with separate power supplies for each channel. It standardizes the use of LR8 high voltage regulators in the driver anode supply. They were used in some earlier prototypes as well. It returns to a mixed configuration of an added positive voltage on the grid circuits, but goes back to the earlier cathode configuration with the variable 25 ohm resistor in that location. This apparent step backwards was done to reduce the noise level slightly in the amplifier. It also eliminated a possible reliability issue with the control in the type “D” positive voltage circuit. Failure or intermittent operation of the control could result in excessive DC voltage on one or more of the output tube grids and cause excessive voltage on that tube’s cathode and ultimate failure of the LM317 and possibly the tube.
Attachment:
Type E.jpg

All schematics are for only one channel and for simplification do not include the power supplies.

There are numerous DIY variations of the circuit and in particular the power supplies. As the circuit is quite versatile nearly combination of output tubes, drivers and power supplies will work well.

I hope this helps eliminate the confusion

Good listening
Bruce

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 06:09 

Hello people,
I am new to the tube amplifiers and I want to make one with the 6v6 tube.
The problem is the output transformer, hard to find one. So I ask a local transformer manufacturer and they say they can make it for me if I provide the correct data.
It is clear that the output is 4, 8 and/or 16 Ohms.
The primary is 8K CT, which means 4K + 4K.
The problem is the Grid winding. Any idea on the turns/impedance ratio for the intermediate "grid: tap?

Regards

P.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 10:47 
Project Author

Hi, The tap can be anywhere between 23% and 40% for the screens. I personally like 40%. 6V6s are nice in this design. Output power is a bit lower than the EL84s though.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 05:57 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, The tap can be anywhere between 23% and 40% for the screens. I personally like 40%. 6V6s are nice in this design. Output power is a bit lower than the EL84s though.

Good listening
Bruce

Hello Bruce,
Thank you for the answer. One more question, the tap is 40% from the Center tap or the anode side?

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 10:21 
Project Author

Hi, Center tap side

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 11:12 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Center tap side

Good listening
Bruce

Many many thanks Bruce. I am going to order the transformers now.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 13:31 

I've decided to build a PoddWatt after building a couple of guitar amps. I'd like ask if I need a pre amp to use it with a turntable?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 07:58 
Project Author

Hi, yes you will need one. I would suggest as a start to either get or build a modest IC based one. Many of the really cheap ones ($25-50) will do, but it seems that their sound will not be inspiring.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68