DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2019, 01:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 02:51 

So for Xmas my lovely missis bought me a Fiio E10K DAC/Amp as I was fed up with the crap sound from my laptops on-board sound.

It's GREAT, I love it with with my modified ATH AD700's!!

However, as the title of the thread says...I have the build bug/itch again and would like to see what you guys would suggest for a DIY amp stage.

Fiios E10K has a 3.5mm line out @ 1.3Vrms and I'm sure there is a build out there to improve upon the amp stage so the E10K would act as just a DAC, so any suggestions from you guys?

Ideally I would like battery powered and reasonably simple design to keep the footprint small. Around £100 max please.

I have built several Cmoys, RIAA pres and the Australian "KT??", (can't remember the designation...was a while ago), subminiture tube kit so my soldering is ok....but remember I'm still a "newb"!!

Thanks all.

Dave B.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 04:04 

Amp to power headphones and battery powered?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 09:52 

Yes...battery powered and for driving headphones!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:55 

How about building a real power amp? It's a whole different world in challenge.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 10:47 

@Yungman....yes, I already have plans for a LM3886 PTP as well as plans for repairs / upgrades to 5! turntables, (GL75, RP1500, GA212 an old Hitachi DD and a slightly more modern Technics SLBD22), re-cap of a Pioneer A400 amp and Marantz CD63 KI Signature as well as a refurb of a set of MS 10's and a set of Cyrus 781's...

...and now I've typed that out I realise why my missus moans about all my "crap" clogging up the house!!!

Maybe I shouldn't take on a new build and concentrate on geeting the above done instead!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 21:51 
Project Author

Hi If all you want is a better phone amp you might consider the TI 6120. They can be had with the PCB and will run on batteries. For lots of muscle you can beat the 3886s. I would not use batteries as the idle current is a bit much.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 23:34 

I've only had been doing head amps for 8r phones, I do have portobale ones with battery power but is large size a5 box.
Thes are litteratly a power amp running on +-3.7V batteries and using through hole transitors to create a close to rail op amp which can deliver allot of current for 8R phones.
Its difficult and a diffrent league, oh also dealing with voltage diffrences between + and - battery rails and designs that have low dc ofset even when supply votlage goes from 4.2 to 3V.
Don't want higher voltages or voltage boosting as the batterys won't last long.

They will work with higher impedances like 32R but less maximum power, does get you louder than compuer outputs capabile of high volumes.

Its not something I recomend a rookie building since you said you are in title post.
Hardcore soldering skills are required to build on prototype boards or a proper pcb done from scratch is required if you want to build one. Not easy. Proper PCBS are also not cheap. Just PCB gets you maybe 30-60% of your allocated budget and takes few days to generate or even a week if you have zero exprience with PCB and if you get it wrong then thats very bad.

I also have to spend a day or two to build a protoype unless you have a scope and can test and chose correct compensation valuves and I am not willing to share too much since I want to start bussniss in future and being coppied means less profoit or even ruin my future.
Also I've never built rookie battery headamps so I can't help you here either. But if your building simple ones then your probally not gonna beat a FILLO E10K in terms of quality.

Theres also IC pinout converters that you can by to upgrade your current FILLO E10K to a better op amp. If you find high quality one that has diffrent pins.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 06:09 

I was thinking more along the lines of a kit, or an existing design that can be built on perfboard/ptp or has boards available to buy. I don't have the knowledge / equipment to prototype and troubleshoot.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 18:00 

Beerme wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a kit, or an existing design that can be built on perfboard/ptp or has boards available to buy. I don't have the knowledge / equipment to prototype and troubleshoot.

Go search on ebay, aliexpress etc.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 12:58 

gofar99 - thanks, I will see if there are any kits / schema available.

ilovehifi - exactly....that is why I have asked for suggestions as per op. Thanks for the input.

If it makes a difference to what would be recommended, I have just purchased a pair of Beyer DT880(250 Ohm) that I intend to use with this set up.

Many thanks,
Dave B.