DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 22:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 08:41 

I'm assuming that a 249K 0.5W 5% resistor will work just as well as a similar 250K resistor in a pre-amp I'm building.
Am I correct ? I already have a bunch of these 249K resistors.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 11:28 

It depends where its used in the circuit.

If its in a RIAA or NAB equalisation network then both type and value can be critical.
So if you have a batch of resistors its would be normal to match them up with a meter.

Under general PSU or general use it again depends where its is in the circuit, but 249K in place of a 250K should be fine.

Any differences in resistor values can be cumulative because gain in one channel increase multiplied by stages can offset a systems balance between channels. So it would be better to match any gain in system stages via resistor values.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 11:59 

Thank you for the response. It is a very simple single stage pre-amp circuit as shown in attachment.
R4 and R5 are the 250K resistors.

R1 is 100K and R2 is 1.2K

What do you think ?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 16:45 

Looking at the circuit,

They will be fine. If you have a batch of the 249K you could test them with a meter so you can match two for R4 of the same value and two for R5 if its stereo Left and Right.

I.e. Left/Right R4 249.3K using the 5% variation to get matching.
I try to do this with all resistors in a stereo circuit with care on anything setting a mid point I.e. voltage set 247K and 247K is better than 250K and 249K splitting a 100V rail to 50V.

NB 250K for R4 could effect the HF and being a high resistance value may have a high inductance (number of turns of resistance film) inside the resistor. <<<but that's not the question you asked.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 23:23 
Project Author

R5 is just the termination resistor in this circuit. The differences will cause minimal change in AC load-line rotation as this is dominated by the input impedance of the following stage. The input forms a voltage divider with R3. The difference between 249 and 250 will not really make much difference.

As for the high frequency response. The value of R4 is added to the output impedance of the driving stage (Ro). This resistance plus the upper portion of R3 is seen in parallel with the lower side of R3 by the preamp input and it's Miller capacitance. In general, this parallel combination will be dominated by the lower portion of R3. Hence the minimum high frequency response will be seen at full volume and will be dominated by the value of R3. In this case, the high frequency -3dB point will be roughly 1/(2π*Cm*R3) assuming that R3 >> R4+Ro.

All in all, the 0.4% difference in mean values will mean nothing to the real world operation of the circuit.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 12:54 

Thanks M. Gregg and Matt for the helpful responses.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 21:54 
Project Author

Hi, All technically correct...but in the real world nothing that you will attach to it will have that level of precision (or need it). I have never found a source component (CD, DVD, LP etc) that has matching of channels or in most cases adherence to the standard it was supposed to emulate in the 1% range. Most seem lucky to get within 5% and many are far worse. 1% components are reasonably normal for places like RIAA circuits, elsewhere 2-5% are just fine. I probably have in the range of 50K to 100K of components in my shop and the ones with tolerance better than 1% are well under 100. So...back to the original question 249K vs 250K is not important. Either will replace the other. If I were building a spacecraft that had to function for 10 years in a vacuum then I would likely use really precision parts. For audio IMO it is an unnecessary increase in cost. :2c:

Good listening
Bruce