DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 11:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:46 

Nice place. Hope you enjoy your stay. Another week to go for my winter break after the school holidays. Will try to get some work done on the amp.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 19:04 

I bought a can of black spray paint and gave a few quick coats yesterday. Unfortunately a few runs, note to self: please practice in future on non-critical sheet of metal. After 12 hours overnight seems mostly dry but will leave for a few days before attaching things.

Also cleaned the pcb board with isopropyl alcohol after reading about recommended cleaning solvents. Hasn't worked well as it has left a smudgy mess. Must be something better- are there any suggestions from the community? I'll post a few picks soon.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 20:05 
Project Author

I've looked at a few of these kits because I currently have an abundance of 6SN7s and simular and would like to make a preamp with them.

I see you can buy bare boards which would be the way to go for me. Then pick your parts. But I can build a single stage preamp on two 50cent 5 tag tag strips so I think why pay for a PCB when a buck will do the same job.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 23:51 

Ideally I'd like to be able to do something like that too. Pcb projects are probably a little easier for a noob like me to get started. And I now recognise some of the disadvantages of pcb amps. If this project turns out I would like to have a go at the 6sn7 preamp you and Matt from memory collaborated on. I may need it if it turns out I extra gain is needed for this pcb amp as reported elsewhere.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 00:28 

Painting stage

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 00:32 
Project Author

Much better than a bare chassis.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 05:42 

yes i think so. i was going for a match with my b & w 2 way speakers which have mirror like black gloss finish.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 05:45 

Re-painted the chassis after sanding the pain runs. Not completely how I would like it but hopefully by next chassis I will have got the hang of it.

The pcb cleaned up well with isopropyl alcohol using an earbud/cuetip?. My wife's cotton makeup wipes work well on larger areas but leave a little cotton lint behind.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 06:32 

Please refer to updated schematic - comments welcome. Probably a bit rough.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 06:39 

Regarding the schematic, i have shown a potentiometer but there isn't provision for one in the pcb. I am making provision to fit one in case I don't need a pre-amp. Are there any views on whether it would work in this circuit with the 100k resistor or should this be removed or reduced? Also any comments on the operating points of this amp would be welcome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next