DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 01:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2018, 02:38 
Project Author

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/treasure-globe-6sn7-se-pair-gf-limited-special-edition/

I swore years ago I'd never buy another tube having way way too many but when these came along....

And a limited series, should buy two pairs. Might be good for the 6SN7 single stage preamp Suncalac designed. Or even much better (listening Suncalc) a two stage 6SN7 with cathode follower stage. Now wouldn't that be nice. Especially seeing you could use two of these glorious tubes.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 01:26 

Finished the 4S. Tesla 6CA4 for the rectifier and the signal tube is a Mullard 12AT7WA (CV4024).

Initially, it had a very bright unbalanced sound, but with a run-in of about 30 hours, it sounds damn good.

I've also tried a 12AU7 (Electronics for medicine - 029), which sounded good from the beginning. Different sound though, more laid back. I prefer the mids on the ATs.

The 4S is hooked up to a Brook12A clone, running 2A3s in PP. The system sounds beautiful. Both are new and therefore require some more run in to sound their best. It improves every day and I'm not complaining..:)

Matt, fabulously simple design. Thank you. We are waiting for the 2-stage 6SN7 design....:)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 03:47 
Project Author

Yes Matt (please) two stage 6SN7 with cathode follower. For those 6SN7-SE tubes I have ordered.

Thanks mate.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018, 19:07 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Yes Matt (please) two stage 6SN7 with cathode follower. For those 6SN7-SE tubes I have ordered.
OK Mark, I have a design. But you'll have to give me a few days to do some prototyping. I want to see how it performs.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018, 19:41 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
OK Mark, I have a design. But you'll have to give me a few days to do some prototyping. I want to see how it performs.

Well the tubes are on the ocean so take your time. Thanks a bunch. I'm sure we will all benefit.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 19:48 

mwhouston wrote:
Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

Well the tubes are on the ocean so take your time. Thanks a bunch. I'm sure we will all benefit.

Matt H. and Matt R., thank you. We are grateful.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 22:36 
Project Author

That was quick. The 6SN7-SE have arrived. Just wondering if we should not start a new thread for 6SN7 cathode follower preamp? Not cheap at $A382 but how good looking. These babies will really have to standout on any build.
Attachment:
6SN7-SE (666x800).jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 17:22 

Suncalc wrote:
Alex Q wrote:
Do i need to isolate the Transformer from the chassis?
Nope.

Power transformers are all HI-Pot tested these days and transformer microphonics is practically non-existant in modern units. Personally I always make sure I have a good ground between the chassis and the transformer end bells. This just makes shielding that much better and provides a guaranteed ground path in the event of catastrophic transformer failure. The industry chassis ground bonding standard is 2mΩ.

Matt, are there any diagrams available to show how to ground the transformer end bells or grounding in general. I did read Bruce's articles which are helpful however drawings or images would fill some gaps for me. Woodo.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 18:34 
Project Author

Woodo wrote:
... are there any diagrams available to show how to ground the transformer end bells or grounding in general.
I use the screws as a current path to the aluminum top plate of my amps. This is the type of hardware I use.
Attachment:
Screw_and_washer_no_8.jpg

It's really simple. Directly under the head of the transformer mounting screw, put a toothed lock washer. This lock washer has tabs that will bite into the transformer end bell foot (penetrating the paint) and the underside of the head of the screw. Then, against the underside of the top plate place another lock washer between the top plate and the nut. This will create a good connection between the nut and the top plate. The arrangement should look like this.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 4.29.41 PM.png

In this way the end bells are completely grounded to the top plate and no wires are involved.

Hope this helps.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 21:52 

Thank Matt that helps a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next