DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 03:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 11:35 

My luck i got some ecc82 from Siemens. For cheap. Waiting for the rest of the parts and cant wait to begin.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 21:01 
Project Author

Good score.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 14:48 

Hello,

I have the Forewatt all together, and it sounds almost great. But I have 2 questions. I get a small amount of hum or buzz through the right channel only. The buzz seems to come mostly through the tweeter so its a fairly high frequency. It’s audible at all volumes. The left channel sounds perfect. Any ideas what might be the cause?

Second question is, should the Forewatt pass sound when turned off? With the power amps and the source on, but the Forewatt off, it still passes music that changes with the volume on the left channel only, but this is the channel that sounds great with no buzz(see above).I built it with no direct bypass also. Not sure what would be causing this.

I’ve double checked all connections. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 17:24 

What version of the schematics do you use?
Have you tried to change the tubes?
It is possible that some signal pass the preamp when it is off. It may be caused by different safety ground schemes in neighbours' devices. The fact that the right and left channels behave differently means that something is not equal in them: it may be a mistake in wiring, a broken part or just a schematic feature. That is why I asked for the version.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 17:34 
Project Author

Hi, It seems I just lost my posting. Anyhow. I will try to recreate it. My sense is that the buzz and the signal pass through are related. I suspect a grounding issue. Think along the lines of a balanced input. Both conductors carry signal, if you ground one then the other will still get through. So if you have a high resistance to ground somewhere in your build it can act like a signal conductor and not only let signal through, but act like a pick up for EMI. I said a lot more in the other post, but this is where I would start. Compare (with the power off) the resistance from one channel to the other at every component that goes to ground in the tube area. Measure from each tube pin to ground as well. Look for differences. let us know what (if anything) you find and if need be we will go step by step after that.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 17:52 

Thanks guys!!!

I’m using the latest schematics with he LR8N’s. What’s strange though is the channel that is passing sound when the amp is off is the one without the buzz and it sounds perfect at that. The channel that doesn’t pass sound when off is the one with the buzz. I’ll go through the entire circuit again tomorrow and maybe take some pictures. I tried to post some before but the file size was too large from my iPhone.

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 21:35 

How do you guys upload pictures here, I always get a error message that the file size is too large from my iPhone pictures?

Thanks

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 21:51 

Hi,

You need to resize them before uploading.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 08:08 

I was able To figure out how to compress some photos. I attached a couple so maybe someone can spot something that I missed.

Thanks

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 08:23 

I see a lot of stray inductance with lead lengths there. I think maybe we have a parasitic oscillation....

Work: Classic Valve Design

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next