DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 04:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 16:29 
Project Author

oloppolo wrote:
Can i try with 1uF?
Yes. This will improve the low end frequency response at the expense of bias recovery time. Be careful you don't overdrive whatever you driving and you should be fine.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 15:36 

I have the best sound with 12at7 CVC valve (Mullard?) and amplifier F5 Pass.
I tried Rk at 1k, 1.5k, 1.2k. The best is with "original" 1.2k.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 16:29 
Project Author

Only over the last few years have I been using the 12AT7s but found I really like the sound. Originally 12AU7s were my preferred.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 18:51 
Project Author

oloppolo wrote:
I tried Rk at 1k, 1.5k, 1.2k. The best is with "original" 1.2k.
Yeah, well I did put a little thought into the bias points. http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4628&start=3

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 00:27 
Project Author

Would someone please send me a link to the 6SN7 single stage preamp which Matt designed. I have lost my copy of the schematic. I'm sure it was on this thread.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 21:42 
Project Author

Mark;

The reason you couldn't find that post is because it's in the "Super simple single stage tube preamp" thread. Here is the link to that particular post:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3266&start=99

And for good measure, here is the schematic again:
Attachment:
4S-6SN7%20Circuit.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 22:46 
Project Author

No wonder I couldn't find it, thanks. What would total current draw be? I have a Hammond tranni good for 40mA total. Would this suffice?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 22:54 
Project Author

I should add I have another compact Cypress base and a 50 Year Treasure 6SN7. I was thinking a single stage 6SN7 preamp with Sophia Princess giant rec. tube. I have a slightly bigger tranni if this one is no good but would like to use it up.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 02:24 
Project Author

Just saw the 3.3V across Rk @ 1K. Therefore 3.3mA per channel. So the 40mA tranni will handle this easy.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 10:51 

I'm using a Hifiberry DAC+ pro (2v rms out, 1K ohms approx output impedance) into a subwoofer plate amp (line in, input impedance 10K ohms) then signal passes through plate amp into 4S preamp and then into Lacewood V2. I want to attenuate the DAC output down to 1v rms. From what I can gather the 4S has a really high input impedance so no problem using say a 47K and 22K resistor for a voltage divider on the output of the DAC (these are the values suggested by Hifiberry), but with the plate amp input impedance at 10K I'm going to be way out (my understanding is I should be going for a minimum 1:10 ratio, output to input impedance). Can I use smaller resistors?, 1K and 470R for example. Will this cause me problems with the 4S preamp? Can someone advise me here. My reason for wanting to lower the DAC output is I THINK I'm clipping with the plate amp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next