DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 07:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 07:21 

Suncalc wrote:
john55 wrote:
I have a couple of 1R 50W wirewound resistors
Be careful about power resistor dissipation ratings. See my write-up here: http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Testeq/Dummy-Speaker-Load/

Gio wrote:
Hi John. Trying to drop that much constant heat across resistors inside an enclosure can be difficult. The heat buildup inside the chassis can become problematic with extended use. My suggestion is to use an oversized resistor as you noted, but to use one that will mount to the chassis or an external heatsink so you don't get heat buildup inside of the enclosure.

Just an update....Wired the two secondaries in series (9.5-10 ish volts), plus 1.2 ohm 50W resistor in series, bolted to chassis with thermal paste and all three valves heaters connected. Reading 6.2 volts. So far so good. I've run this for 2 hours in the enclosed chassis with a vented back plate. I can add more ventilation, but don't think I need to? The resistor got no hotter than 52ºC.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 18:02 
Project Author

John55, all very neat.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 18:54 
Project Author

John;

I am always in awe of your workmanship. Very well done!

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 02:39 

Thanks for the pat on the back. I can't wire any other way. My first job on leaving school 48 years ago was wiring Hiwatt 50's and 100's. There's a one in five chance that I wired this one. Dave Reeves (owner of Hiwatt) was a stickler for neatness.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 07:09 
Project Author

Come on Matt my bird's nest has to beat this. Think of all the wire I have saved. Lol.

And I thought I was OCD.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 07:24 

mwhouston wrote:
Come on Matt my bird's nest has to beat this. Think of all the wire I have saved. Lol.

And I thought I was OCD.

I admit it, I am a bit OCD but in this instant I think it helps as I'm fitting a 6EM7 into a wine box. (You fault mwhouston).
I would like to fit the main choke in the power supply as shown in the photo as it makes firing up and checking the amp that much easier, but I'm not sure if being that close to the amp will cause problems. I have plenty of room in the box itself. Advice please!!!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:40 
Project Author

Nice parts and nice layout, I think you'll be fine.

I like to think I could start a wine box build following. Here they are $9 and I can get them just down the road. No problems drilling large holes for valve sockets. As you saw I stained one but left the other natural. Having the external tranni box and its a universal tranni box seperate, means less chance of hum and you save about $100 a build being able to use the same tranni box.

My next is SE UL KT88 with JJ Blue glass KT88s. Plus matching speakers 4" 92db effcient dual cone drivers in vertical wine boxes all matching.

Can't wait to see your amp finished. Is the wine box blonde wood or dark or are you staining?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:50 
Project Author

Slightly off thread I spent some weeks in Spain just a few years back. It was part of a 5.5 week adventure. Stayed in Madrid, Toledo and then Barcelona. Absolutely loved it, go back tomorrow.

Got introduce to baby eels on bread with salsa and tomatoes. And of course lots of sangria. Being a Mason and the Templar knights being active in the region centries ago held special interest.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 13:33 

Looking forward to seeing your wine box amp and speakers matching set.
A six week wait for the output transformers from Edcor so I've robbed a pair from a Lacewood V2.
Hopefully I'll have the 6EM7 finished by the weekend and will put up photos. Again it's a little OCD, but it will probably go in a friends restaurant later on.
Sounds like you enjoyed Spain. It's a lovely country to work and live in.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 16:48 
Project Author

If the amp goes in a restaurant you will need very effcient speakers to get any volume. What have you in mind? I would suggest the 12" concentric Spainish Beymas. 98db efficient and in a good side box lots of bass and volume.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next