DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2018, 18:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 09:50 

[quote="Gio"]Here is a good and entertaining read on the subject and why a standby switch is a good thing: https://peavey.com/monitor/pvpapers/Chapter6.pdf

The very interesting and argument causing "cathode stripping and poisoning".
Also links to inrush suppression.

Thanks for posting the link interesting read.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 19:42 
Project Author

With modern tubes (i.e. those made after about 1945) I have always found the problem of poisoning is much more serious than cathode stripping. I have yet to document a case of cathode stripping at a B+ of less than about 1000V. Poisoning just requires the heaters to be on.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 20:11 
Project Author

Hi, I'm with Matt on this. I too have never seen it occur.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 17:29 

When the cathode has not reached its proper operating temperature (i.e. the cathode is not yet incandescent/glowing)
electrons are “ripped” from the barium/strontium/calcium carbonate cathode coating itself, causing a phenomenon known as “cathode stripping.”

I don't see how electorns can have physical forcse to ripp the coating off the cathode, maybe ripped off the cathode is only a imagination term on how the authour feels about doing this.
When a valve is not fully heated up, less current flows through the valve because its too cold for the electornns to flow freely, the valve internal resistance is higher, I don't see any plorbem nor damage.

this is referred to as “cathode poisoning.”
high resistance layer is gradually formed at the “interface” between the
oxide coating and the nickel cathode structure. This
layer of barium orthosilicate causes tube performance
to degrade significantly

Personally I do not beilve this, further more with many online researches I've done.
There wasn't any explantion on how the cathode posions or strips. All was said is that the cathode will strip, but how does it strip? There will be a high resistance layer but how does it form up.
Theres no reasoning and its all claims wihout any proof.

If theres any formal testing with sufficent proof on valves degrading then I will accept that.
I've accumulated more than 4000 hours on my 6z4 rectifier, more than 6000 horus on 6n4 valve. They still go perfect, no warm ups were ever used.
These valves are so reliable that I want them to be less reliable.

Last edited by KochiyaYamato on 04 Feb 2018, 17:51, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 17:36 

Looking for answers, but this is a normal and wellknown phenomena for Nixie-tubes.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll