DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 May 2018, 07:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Concept for 4P1l Tubes
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 11:12 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I would like to hear some thoughts on a concept for design of a single ended pentode (U/L) 4P1L amplifier. It seems to me based on some initial testing (call it monkeying around if you want) that the heater circuit for DH tubes can cause a number of undesired problems. It seems as if two DH tubes are on the same heater circuit interactions between them and the power supply will occur. I test bed set up a push-pull oddwatt style amp using a pair of these tubes and found that not only did the slave not function well, that the driven tube was both sourcing and sinking the audio into the heater circuit. Certainly not desireable. So I decided to try the tubes with a single ended circuit. There are many...but my thinking went to what if the heater circuits had a common ground. Then interactions might not occur. This would save having to have duplicate heater supplies as well. The problem there is the need for fixed bias. Not really an issue though. My inquiry is about using two DH tubes on the same supply. Opinions....?

The partial schematic is for a stereo amplifier. Points H1 and H2 go to the output tubes in each channel. Grounding the heater center tap on both tubes is thought to eliminate the need for cathode resistors, cathode capacitors and allow for for both tubes to share the same heater supply without interaction between the tubes or heater supply. The actual heater supply is floating.

Any thoughts,

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
4P1L SEP UL Concept.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 09:05 
Project Author

Hum? No thoughts?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 17:44 

Hi Bruce,

After "monkeying" with DH tubes, I found that using a CCS for each tube solves a multitude of issues.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 16:42 
Project Author

I have considered that, but it won't get around using a single heater supply on two different channels. That was the idea to ground the center point of the heaters. Then interactions between the tubes might be non-existent. I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer on if it would work. In absence of that I will try it in a test bed and hope for no smoke. :firefighter:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 03:22 

gofar99 wrote:
....but it won't get around using a single heater supply on two different channels....Then interactions between the tubes might be non-existent.

In theory, as long as you stay in class-A, you're OK. But turn up the volume into cutoff and all bets are off :sick:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 03:38 

There's a guy, called Azazello who on the forums Diytubes and Diyaudio has published constructions with the 4P1L tube. He sent me, btw, a bunch of those to test and to show his gratitude for inviting him to my place a few years ago, when he also showed up with one of his 4P1Ls. We also attended a DIY-meeting in Gothenburg together and his small amp did impress.
The 4P1L is supposed to be a very nice tube when it comes to sonic qualities.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll