DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2018, 22:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: 6CY7 Stereo Amp
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 20:53 

Suncalc wrote:
I just thought I'd mention that there is another output transformer from Edcor for this project that will give a little more lower end response. The GXSE5-5.5K-8 is a drop in replacement but has a rated passband 30Hz lower than the XSE10-5K-8 (40Hz vs 70Hz). Given that the XSE yields a lower -3dB frequency of about 32Hz in this design, I am guessing that the GXSE should give good performance down to at least 20Hz (I have not tested it).

And here's the best part, the difference in cost between the XSE and the GXSE is a whopping 38 cents (as of this writing). I was thinking about a pair of tiny 6CY7 mono-blocks. Maybe I'll give the GXSE5-5.5K-8 a try and see how it compares.

Hi Matt, Did you ever retrofit your amp with the GXSE transformers? I'd be curious to see what your impressions were...

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 23:05 
Project Author

kidmoe wrote:
Did you ever retrofit your amp with the GXSE transformers?
Not yet. I have two versions of the upgraded amp on the drawing board. One is a smaller amp with the same power transformer, the other is a pair of mono-blocks with tube rectification. I haven't gotten beyond the basic design stage with either yet. Maybe some time this summer.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 08:00 

Hi Guys. I am new to this forum and tubes. Great info here Thanks. About to build this amp but have the Hammond 369EX transformer. This PT has a center tap on the 6.3v secondary. Should I remove the 100ohm resistors and connect this to earth or a cathode or just ignore it.
Thanks
Steven

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 14:07 
Project Author

Just omit the two 100Ω resistors on the filament lines and tie the center tap from the 6.3v winding directly to signal ground.

The two 100Ω resistors form a virtual ground for the filament circuit if the transformer does not have a center tapped filament winding. I actually prefer using center tapped filament windings if they are available.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 15:08 

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated. I will do that.

Steven

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 10:42 

I have built up this amp as per the schematic except with a SS power supply. I use it primarily for my 32 ohm headphones in parallel with a 32 ohm resistor - so 16 ohm output load.

I quite like the warmth of the second harmonic distortion, but at times I find the distortion too high for my taste. I am wondering if there is something I can do to bring down the distortion a little without dramatically effecting the sound quality. I have toyed with a small amount of global negative feedback or perhaps changing the operating points of the tube?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9