DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 21:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 21:42 

"I am working with a new amp, we'll call it the "6V6 Marblewood", that uses four separate filters sections for the two power and two signal stages."

Oh no, not an other version to build :blush:

I already buy the caps, the resistors and the two little chokes for a second Lacewood but not the transformers yet.

My idea was to have two identical but i will see.

The enclosure is partly done, i use the last piece for angico wood i had.

André

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 14:49 
Project Author

lowhifi wrote:
Oh no, not an other version to build
Yes. But this one is a little different. The driver is a 4S Universal type circuit so that builders can switch the driver tube to get the sensitivity and tone they like. And as I said before, the power supply is different. Even the rectifier, a 6CA4 on this build.

Here are the pieces:
Attachment:
Marblewood_Kit.jpg
The chassis is one built out of a little piece of Marblewood i picked up at my hardwood supplier. I talked about it on my blog here. I had all the materials in hand and the metal all cut and drilled in May when I learned about being transferred to a new location for work. I haven't had a chance to assemble it yet. When I do, I'll start a thread for the new design.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 17:11 
Project Author

Looks like a good start. I like the inserts at the front. A much better way to go.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 13:13 

Hi All,
I'm building a second Lacewood V.2 at the moment for my brother in law. He would like a set of ammeters included in the build. I have a pair of 0-100mA meters available and would like to know if I can connect them to the ground side of the cathode bias resistors on the 6V6s. The bypass caps would still go from the cathodes directly to ground. This is how I fitted them in the 6EM7 vertical amp I built following Matts' advice. If there's no problem and I can fit them, what readings should I expect on the meters? I would appreciate any input as my math isn't up to working that out..YET.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 17:44 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
... would like to know if I can connect them to the ground side of the cathode bias resistors on the 6V6s. The bypass caps would still go from the cathodes directly to ground.
This will work fine. They should read between 45mA and 50mA. Let us know how it goes.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 06:18 

Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I've wired them in and they work fine.
Over the past year or so I've built a complete stand alone system with four distinct, independent parts to the system.

FLAC files on remote harddrive + Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry proplus DAC with two independent regulated 5 volt supplies and Rune Audio OS as a stand alone media player.

Fostex plate amp driving 4.5 inch subwoofer

4S Pre-amp with Psvane 12AT7.

Lacewood V.2. Driving Fostex FE126En drivers in bass reflex/backloaded horn, hybrid cabinets.

I just love this setup, I can sit and listen for hours and find no fault with it. The other thing I love is I can interchange everything easily with other equipment.

After having a long listen to the system, my brother-in-law asked if I would build him one. I quite happily said “yes”. MY MISTAKE, he's a neatness freak. Firstly...can he have everything in one cabinet? Secondly...can he have it looking a bit Steampunky? and Thirdly...can he have blue lights on it?
As he's buying all the bits I had no choice but to say yes to everything, although I really argued over the blue lights.
All in all, it was good fun to build and my worries about noise with everything together in one chassis proved groundless.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 21:36 
Project Author

WOW! Beautiful work!

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 02:58 

At first i thought they were UV meters, now i see they are ammeters. Damn awesome build

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 21:58 
Editor

Fantastic build John55. I love all of the copper.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 14:14 

Matt, thank you very much.

Metal 6J5/6V6 prototype is operational, just waiting for Edcor output transformers. The quantitative relationship between the fundamental and second and third harmonics looks just like the figure on Matt's website. At 1W, the second harmonic is -34db and the third is below -40db.

Packaging will be utilitarian; just enough to be reasonably safe in the lab. Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next