DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 02:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 05:30 
Project Author

New kid on the block; http://korgnutube.com/en/
I've ordered one from RS Australia AU$65.
Attachment:
NutubeImage.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 06:23 

Been looking at that one, though it is a bit pricey. It's interesting that is built up almost like a VFD. And talking of VFDs, seen some experimting using that kind of display as an amplifyer. Besides, it holds an anode, a cathode and a control grid, hower directly heated. :idea:

I have in the project pile the single transistor amp (2sk1058) and have a bunch of 6S31B as predriver, but a Nutube would look nicer. 8-)

One objection: How the H*** could they give the tube the number 6N1P. There's a Russian tube, widely used with that number!!! :confused:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 12:28 

Let us know how it sounds.
I got the engineering pre-release email a few years back on that thing and couldn't help but think it's design made it inherently noisy.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 17:58 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
Been looking at that one, though it is a bit pricey. It's interesting that is built up almost like a VFD. And talking of VFDs, seen some experimting using that kind of display as an amplifyer. Besides, it holds an anode, a cathode and a control grid, hower directly heated. :idea:

I have in the project pile the single transistor amp (2sk1058) and have a bunch of 6S31B as predriver, but a Nutube would look nicer. 8-)

One objection: How the H*** could they give the tube the number 6N1P. There's a Russian tube, widely used with that number!!! :confused:

Agree on two counts, pricey and silly name.

And Geek, they talk of the noise issues.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 18:02 

I was reading a few months ago on a DIY using this tube. It caught me as just different enough to be worth trying but after reading all and between the lines i decided "no" due to an obvious noise sensitivity issue and microphonics.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 21:38 
Project Author

Took an hour to workout filament connections but now have it sorted. Mine arrived.
Attachment:
image.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 03:33 

AN HOUR!!!!! How many connections do you have??! :confused:

I am into the same kind of stuff but my tube will (hopefully) show the time of day. And I managed to pick out the connections with a help of a Rosette-pdf (Russian/German)

Attachment:
VFD-01.jpg

Seriously, the Nutube and my display are made up in a similar fashion. Directly heated cathode, grids and anodes and both are glowing (blue/green?) in the dark. I've seen projects where an VFD has been used as an amplifier and once, it would be cool testing that myself. But for the time beeing, I stick to trying to find a good way to "power up" my display and following this thread. (Got a apir of Russian clock-IC waiting to be picked up).

Sorry for OT.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 08:41 
Project Author

Just discovered that the guy who bought my latest tube HP amp - Sanctum - has already built something with a Nutube.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 02:33 

Anode Dissipation: 1.7mW

Milliwatts....

Is this a typo?

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 04:05 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Anode Dissipation: 1.7mW

Milliwatts....

Is this a typo?

Should power a pair of Wilsons.