DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 03:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: PAM8403 - 3+3W D-amp
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 00:32 

I had an idea of squeezing in a 6SN7 preamplifier too ....

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 04:15 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
I had an idea of squeezing in a 6SN7 preamplifier too ....

How about a couple of JAN6418s

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 18:53 

I find such projects, a complete waste of time, it offers no challenge to theuplifting of the mind, no rational of thought, I could never find that sort of effort pleasing,
as the results are obvious, we are gathered here, for mind exploration, not
reading comic books.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 20:19 
Project Author

steakhead wrote:
I find such projects, a complete waste of time, it offers no challenge to theuplifting of the mind, no rational of thought, I could never find that sort of effort pleasing,
as the results are obvious, we are gathered here, for mind exploration, not
reading comic books.

Quaint amd novel builds have thier place. Evidently not your place.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 01:49 

We've had that discussion over here in Sweden and it is much a matter what you want to do, what you expect of the results etc.

I am a tube-fan and prefer building tube amps because I believe that the simplicity of such an amplifier is troubling the musical signal least. I also have come to a point where I am a bit lazy.Why spend hours, days and weeks calculating and trying out various loads and operation conditions for a 6cA7? Ten million people have done it already and I can just pick any design om the web instead of blowing fuses, killing tubes, transformers and my good mood. :mad:

Next to being lazy ("A good engineer is a lazy engineer"), I am curious. Why pick 6CA7 when there are other not so common tubes that do the same job, or deliver the same result in Volts, Amperes and watts? So around me are projects built on, or being built on 12A6, 5998A, 50CA10, GU-72, 5902 and other. Why not see what the new, fancy and small amplifier boards from Chian (misspelled deliberately) can do. Let's check them out. Besides being new and fancy, they can be brought along into the deep forests where no powerlines are close by. The smallest can be driven by those power-blocks/chargers for cell phones. Try playing your 845 SE-amp out in the jungle! :smoking:

Finally, if I am not so addicted to drawing tube curves and solving 3rd grade mathematical equations, I like to give shape to things with my hands. So I try to build my amps in an "artistic" fashion (according to me). Picking exotic wood or exotic paint or stain the wood in exotic colors, making a good choice of knobs, feets, connectors, end bells ...
The small China-amps are even more suitable for "artistery" as they can be dropped into virtually any kind of enclusure. And the real work is to find a suitable casing or unsuitable. :wizard:

So, in short. We are all different, we have different interests and different ways of solving (or creating) problems. What I do may not be all faulty or wrong or uninteresting and neither are all you do crap. We are simply different.
When we, in our Swedish electronics forum, make a not in a thread about 'what we drank latest' and someone has tried a Weissbier, there are sometimes comments like "oh, that is foul-tasting shit". I always ... ALWAYS! make the comment that YOU think that is crap but you are not expressing an universal truth here, just your meaning. :cop:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 07:13 

So, what's different between building a SPUD and building a cheap Chinese miniamp? None!
I don't have to solder resistors, caps and ICs; that is already done, but there's a challenge to find somewhere to house the amp, drill holes, solder wires, connectors, potentiometers without burning fingers.

My wife found a tin can for (Swedish) lozengers the other day and even if there's no space left for a battery, at least he amp parts did fit into the 45x45mm box.

Attachment:
IMG_3426.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3423.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 18:02 
Project Author

OMG the amp module is so tiny.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 02:02 

The 15-watter is almost that tiny.

Attachment:
IMG_3427.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 05:04 
Project Author

How many watts into 8 ohms.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 06:34 

This is the board: TPA3110. Note that the seller says 2x15W.

Quote:
Features:
Amplifier Chip:TPA3110
Output Power:15W x 2
Working Voltage: DC 8-18V
Working Current:
Max:3A
Static state:8mA
Efficiency:≥90%
SNR:100dB
Frequency Range:20Hz-20KHz
Size: 33 x 25 x 3.5mm
Speaker:4-8Ω
Net Weight:about 4g
Dimension:

Texas also claims 2x15W into 8 Ohm at 10% distortion.
TPA 3110 according to TI

―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next