DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 21:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 10:10 

When I last checked they were out of the T3 boards but I notice now they are back in stock but I have already ordered the T4 board. From your review it also is a great sounding Class D board. I will review it when built and tested.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:29 

This is a very well built amplifier, congratulations on a fine job.
sure it sounds great too, nice to see something looking and smelling
different for a change.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 14:25 
Project Author

steakhead wrote:
This is a very well built amplifier, congratulations on a fine job.
sure it sounds great too, nice to see something looking and smelling
different for a change.

Thanks for the nice comment. I've just realised I no images of the final product externally. I'll fix that.

steakhead, where are you from?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 14:33 
Project Author

Here are some images of the stereo Tripath Class D and the T3 monoblocks. Mundorf Supreme filter caps (2X33000uF) and copper, platinum and Teflon RCAs on the monoblocks. Both amps have extra heavy duty speaker binding posts.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
Attachment:
image.jpeg
Attachment:
image.jpeg
Attachment:
image.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 08:29 

I received my board this week and paired it with a 400VA 32V transformer and 30,000uf of capacitance and gave it a listen last night. No doubt it is a keeper. The speaker out on one channel is still incorrect. Easy to spot if one traces the outs back to the inductor. I want to scope it and listen some more before more comments but I was reluctant to turn it off and go to bed last night which is a good sign in my book. I did not detect any harsh highs in my system. It sound nice from the get go. Good vocals and soundstage.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 09:57 
Project Author

wdecho wrote:
I received my board this week and paired it with a 400VA 32V transformer and 30,000uf of capacitance and gave it a listen last night. No doubt it is a keeper. The speaker out on one channel is still incorrect. Easy to spot if one traces the outs back to the inductor. I want to scope it and listen some more before more comments but I was reluctant to turn it off and go to bed last night which is a good sign in my book. I did not detect any harsh highs in my system. It sound nice from the get go. Good vocals and soundstage.

I wouldn't scope it. Class D can have 20V+ on both the speaker terminals and if they detect ground it could blow the amp.

Glad to hear you like it. These brds. are warm and natural sounding not like the Class Ds of old.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 10:29 

Thanks for the heads up. I want to do some A/B'ing with this amp vs some of my Firstwatt Class A clones before commenting further. They need a few more hours on them as well but right now I am well pleased.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 18:08 
Project Author

wdecho wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I want to do some A/B'ing with this amp vs some of my Firstwatt Class A clones before commenting further. They need a few more hours on them as well but right now I am well pleased.

Of the F5s I've heard, I'm not a big fan. There is just something about them I don't like. I'd like to heard your comment on the comparison when done. I have my money on the D. A few audiophile friends I dragged the D around to were more than a little impressed. So much so one guy bought two and another two guys one each. I think that says it all.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 10:36 

When one describes the sound of an amplifier you have to know the kind of speakers being used and the kind of music one enjoys as well. This amplifier will be a great choice for many. Great bass, quick and dynamic, with good vocals and sound stage. I have horn speakers which affects my choice of amplifier. I love the sound of this amplifier and do not want to turn it off and go to bed. I have many builds most being class A whether tube or SS. Right now I have 6 complete Firstwatt clones I have built. A V-fet, M2, F3, BA-1, F7 and F4. I also have built the F6 and Aleph 5 and still have the boards. All are excellent amplifiers but each has subtle differences. I have never seriously considered building the F5 because Nelson himself has said that it is not a great choice for horns. The F6 is another one that was not my cup of tea with my horns. This D amp only has a few hours on it and from what Mark has said it will settle in and get better. I have only compared it to the V-fet and from a very brief 2 song comparison the bass was much better with the D. Quicker and more dynamic. The presence and soundstage of the V-Fet was more room filling with what I call more presence. Much like a SET amplifier. The D has an excellent soundstage but not quite the same as the V-fet. This was really expected by me before building. We are comparing a Class A amplifier with a much less damping factor and only 25 watts against a 180 watt D amp. Firstwatt amplifiers are meant for a specific kind of speaker, efficient horns or full range drivers is where they really shine. I would think anyone would want at least a 90db or better speaker to consider a Firstwatt amplifier or for that matter a SET or most any Class A amplifier. This D will appeal to many more users. I have found nothing to fault in this build. Easy and very quick to build and a great choice for a first diy build. This is going to be a keeper and the best sounding of my D amps. I do have one other D that I like, the B&O Icepower board but it does not have the bass as this board. Another D board I like is a Sure board with the same 2050 chip but it is on the bright side but not offensive, just bright. This hifimediy board is smoother on the top end. I am well satisfied with the board and the cost to build. Building a class A amplifier is not cheap or nearly as easy.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 18:01 
Project Author

Glad you like it. I took one amp to a friend who was about to demo some huge German $60K speakers. After they had been installed in his lougne we plugged my amp in. The store owners who deliver these speakers was astounded by this amp and laugh when I told the price I as asking for the amp. They couldn't beleive the speed and delivery of the amp and they sell multi-thousand dollar amps from thier store.

Unfortately I think the first of these 180W modules were better again but the new version is not far behind. I have one D left and not an EAT hifimediy but one based on the IRS2902 gate controller. Glad to say it is an excellent sounding amp. I called it just "Class D". I'll provide a link just so you know which amp I'm talking about.http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/250w-ir-class-d-amplifier.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next