DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 May 2018, 18:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 18:43 

Suncalc wrote:
Alex Q wrote:
Can i used 6CG7 for this preamp?
The reason for this amp is to allow the use of a series of tubes. However, the 6CG7 (6SN7) is a different beast. Here is a design for a 6CG7/6SN7 version which, coincidentally, will also make use of your 100kΩ Alps potentiometer.

We did discuss this tube a while back when suggesting other 6V heater tubes:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4628&hilit=6cg7&start=140

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 18:50 
Project Author

Thanks Chris! :thumbsup:

I had totally forgotten about that whole series of posts. Another good reasons to go back through these threads from time to time.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 20:05 

Suncalc wrote:
Alex Q wrote:
I have a spare 100K ALPS Blue Velvet POT can i used this for the 4S
Unfortunately, 100kΩ is too small to use in this design as is. However, if you replace the 250kΩ pot in the design with just a 250kΩ resistor, you can put the 100kΩ pot on the front end and it will work fine.
Alex Q wrote:
The reason for this amp is to allow the use of a series of tubes. However, the 6CG7 (6SN7) is a different beast. Here is a design for a 6CG7/6SN7 version which, coincidentally, will also make use of your 100kΩ Alps potentiometer.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3266&start=99

Hi Matt,
I will get the 250K instead i still need to order some parts anyway,This 4S is to drive the Headphone amp that you designed by the way the more i listened to this amp the more i like it to my ears it is comparable to the kit that i got which the kit is 3X more expensive.Thanks again!

Alex

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 20:07 

Chris65 wrote:
Suncalc wrote:
Alex Q wrote:

We did discuss this tube a while back when suggesting other 6V heater tubes:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4628&hilit=6cg7&start=140

Thanks for the INFO!

alex

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 14:19 

Do i need to isolate the Transformer from the chassis?

Thanks!
Alex

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 14:41 
Project Author

Alex Q wrote:
Nope.

Power transformers are all HI-Pot tested these days and transformer microphonics is practically non-existant in modern units. Personally I always make sure I have a good ground between the chassis and the transformer end bells. This just makes shielding that much better and provides a guaranteed ground path in the event of catastrophic transformer failure. The industry chassis ground bonding standard is 2mΩ.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 17:39 

Suncalc wrote:
Alex Q wrote:
Nope.

Power transformers are all HI-Pot tested these days and transformer microphonics is practically non-existant in modern units. Personally I always make sure I have a good ground between the chassis and the transformer end bells. This just makes shielding that much better and provides a guaranteed ground path in the event of catastrophic transformer failure. The industry chassis ground bonding standard is 2mΩ.

OK Thank You!

Alex

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 22:01 

I just started working on the amp and realized i don't have enough solid core wires the local supplier only have 20 gauge stranded wires, is there advantage on using a solid vs stranded,Which type of wires(Solid or stranded)do you guys used for your build?Thanks!

Alex

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 05:04 
Project Author

I use solid core only in the audio path. Usually wire-wrap wire which fine copper wire with a silver plating. Or more recently solid core Cat5. I never use shielded wire for interconnects or in wiring amps and preamps.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 13:30 

mwhouston wrote:
I use solid core only in the audio path. Usually wire-wrap wire which fine copper wire with a silver plating. Or more recently solid core Cat5. I never use shielded wire for interconnects or in wiring amps and preamps.

Ok Thanks!

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next