DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Jun 2019, 04:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 18:48 
Project Author

The one from the bottom of the output transformer labeled B+272V means to connects to the HT of the PS which should be very close to 270V.

The input is where you connect your music source. Because this amp has an attenuator you can connect it directly to a music source which should have a voltage swing of about 1V.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 21:37 

Ok, so does this also mean that the rest of the points labeled B+272 are connected at the same spot, on the HT of the PS? Also Im going to assume that the wires coming into the schematic on the left side, running to the 6SN7 tube are coming from PS? What and where specifically on the schematic is the attenuator?
Sorry, if I frustrate anyone with these newbie questions. I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding this 110%! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 05:42 
Project Author

Without sounding condicending you are asking more than basic questions and it would be too easy for you to make some serious mistakes. My suggestion is to find someone with tube amp building experience to work with you.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 22:33 

Thanks so much for this thread. I’ve been searching for the last week to find a simple tube amp suitable for a 1st build. I think this is going to be it!

I’d like to start with an Edcor order since it’s going to take a while to get in. I want to make sure I’m ordering the correct parts.

Power:
http://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr163

Power Choke:
it was mentioned in the thread to use either a
CXC100-7H-150mA
http://www.edcorusa.com/cxc100-7h-150ma
or
CXC125-10H-200mA
http://www.edcorusa.com/cxc125-10h-200ma
Space is not a factor as I plan to make the amp a little larger than needed. Which one should I go with?

Output Transformers…
The schematic specs a GXSE10-8-5
Is that a GXSE10-5K with 8ohm Output impedance?
http://www.edcorusa.com/gxse10-5k

Thanks in advance for clearing up some noobie questions. I’m looking forward to combining my basic electronics knowledge with my woodworking skills to work on this project. I’ll have plenty of questions along the way 

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 17:43 
Project Author

NIckbee;

That's the power transformer I'd use.

If you are sticking buy the PS schematic and using two chokes, then I'd go with the 7H. It's more than enough with the second choke in place.

As for the outputs, yes that's the output transformer.

Let us know how your build goes.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 21:11 
Project Author

For anyone interested, I am now rebuilding this amp using the results of my 6V6 optimization study (documented here). This means the amp will look the same from the outside, but the schematic is optimized for the best possible 6V6 SE-UL operation.

The thread for the rewire/rebuild is here: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5736

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 21:35 
Project Author

It will be interesting to see if you hear a difference.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 18:33 

I'm interested on build this amp. I know I will have many questions/doubts.

First question. Will this amp give nice full range sound no bass loss? I'm not bass adict but I need the bass sound correct, natural punch. I need smooth, mellow, warmth and clear sound at all frequencies with the caractheristcs of the true vaccum tube sound. I plan hear of all style of music, mainly Jazz, Reggae and old Rock and Blues

My speakers are Klipsch RF 82 II with 98db of sensibility. Some say these speakers can be fully drived by only 2w. Lately I'm using a solid state amp of 50w per channel. Do you think I will loss too much ?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 20:04 
Project Author

I have built this amp but varied from the original PS buy splitting the PS at first cap (two stage filtering) to provide dual HT rails right through the amp. This amp sounds extremely good but if you are looking for deep punchy bass, 2W may not do it for you. Especially if you come from a higher powered SS amp.

What you will get is a real tube full bodied sound that is very seductive. You don't want seduction, don't build the amp.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 11:26 

mwhouston wrote:
I have built this amp but varied from the original PS buy splitting the PS at first cap (two stage filtering) to provide dual HT rails right through the amp. This amp sounds extremely good but if you are looking for deep punchy bass, 2W may not do it for you. Especially if you come from a higher powered SS amp.

What you will get is a real tube full bodied sound that is very seductive. You don't want seduction, don't build the amp.

I tested a single-ended 6550 amp (with preamp 12ax7 section, driver section i don't remember now) and it was more powerfull than my solid amp. I was impressed. I think it was around 10w.

Im nott looking for big/punch bass, but right bass reproduction like I described. I love the tube feel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next